Author Topic: Dashboard went mental and cut out. Help!  (Read 2363 times)

Offline bungeejim

• Bike: DL650 L5
Dashboard went mental and cut out. Help!
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:45:18 »
Hi everyone,
On riding back from Suzuki my dashboard kept restarting while riding (every light lighting up like a christmas tree), the bike was jumpy and then everything cut out. Waiting 10 mins fired up and got home (just), bike was really jumpy and then dash conked out again when I got home.

Suzuki had a look over before about mainly mechanically issues. All they did was fiddle with the clutch switch and heated grips to get that working again. (clutch s/w stuck so not not starting) Could they yanked on the wiring loom. Or is it just bad luck of a random fault on the way back from a garage?
I've unplugged the ECU and battery for a few mins and put them back. Where should I check for connections or has my ECU had it?(and can I just do a straight swap out)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Jim

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Dashboard went mental and cut out. Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 13:12:18 »
Sounds like your battery is going flat . Check your charging rate at the battery .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline bungeejim

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 13:23:54 »
Will check the battery thanks. If there's not enough juice would it not struggle to turn over. Its starts on the button and then splutters to cut out with a light show.

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 14:38:34 »
Could it be the loom rubbing through on the frame problem? Or has that been sorted on the later 650's?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 15:51:04 »
Good point pug27. Not sure, it was a routing problem, so would imagine so. Easy enough to check ...see http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16745.0

Bit of a coincidence, coming back from garage, though. Were the battery connections loose?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline bungeejim

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 17:06:46 »
Battery connections look OK, cleaned them. Will check for signs of rubbing on the wiring tonight. It is a 2015 model.

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 18:17:04 »
Have a look at the wire connection block behind the left front fairing. my dash went wild the other week and that was the problem.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 19:32:20 »
I'll second that connector on the left side. Check it for corrosion etc.
Mine kept restarting and doing strange things.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 22:46:42 »
The dashboard also connects via the connectors above the radiator- they are a source of many woes on this bike and possibly the biggest let down.

I'm not sure frame rubbing is the issue. I had problems in that area with my wiring loom and was told by the dealer there is a connection burried inside the loom in that area that had sheared off.

Offline bungeejim

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 16:01:40 »
Thanks blokes. Looms looked OK, so did the pins inside the connectors. Unplugged and re plugged everything. I think that has cured it. Fingers crossed

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 18:06:26 »
Get some afc50 in the connector and cover it with bike inner tube and tie wrap the ends.  :fix: :thumb:
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline Chimpy

• 15th Mid Life Crisis
  • Bike: DL650A, ATK 605 DSES Enduro
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 07:24:31 »
Did this issue get fully resolved?

I have had a similar issue in that the instrument panel started flashing FI and then the bike cut out. We investigated every connector on the bike but couldn’t find a thing.

Eventually, we found that the red/white wire from the fuel pump relay was only supplying about 3.5 volts; it should be 12 volts. It was the same for the red/white wires to the instrument panel and ECM. The red/white wire from F8 was 12 volts, so it became clear that a wire splice had failed in the loom. It is positioned inside the major loom bulge/junction just below the left rear corner of the fuel tank. It is a five wire splice with the 12 volt feed and the three red/white cables (and an undocumented black wire) fed into a really crappy undersized crimp covered in a bit of tape. Mine was corroded to the point where all four of the wires on one side had broken leaving minimal contact resulting in a high resistance and consequent voltage drop.

The loom covering has to be very carefully split to reach the splice. It was an easy job to make up a new space using appropriate waterproof heat shrink soldered connectors.

I could not believe the shoddy nature of this technique.

I am writing a letter to Suzuki GB requesting they replace the loom even though it is a few months out of warranty as this problem should not be happening on a dry stored bike with 7700 miles on it.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 21:40:08 »
I had the same issue in the same place. The dealership said they would put in a claim for me even though out of warranty. All Suzuki came back with was an offer of a small discount on a new loom and no costs towards fitting. The dealership had soldered the offending wire and it's been fine since.

My bike cut out in lane 3 of the A1 in Newcastle. I managed to get to the inside lane but there was no hard shoulder so my bike was stranded in the inside lane for an hour waiting rescue.

My experience of Suzuki's electrics is the main reason I won't be replacing the Glee with a Veek or the newer 650 (I could even live with the daft looks of the newer designs) or the GSXS-750 which I really liked as a summer bike.