Author Topic: Another pannier question  (Read 944 times)

Offline pieman53

• Bike: DL1000 K6, DL1000A L9
Another pannier question
« on: June 05, 2019, 22:09:02 »
Just about to decide to move on from my Vee to a brand new one however looking at the nice pretty pictures is it just my wonky eyesight or are allimium panniers seated way forward. If you have a passenger on it seems the boxes get in the way from putting your feet on the foot pegs.
Some aluminium boxes seem so far forward that the rider may even struggle to sit correctly.
Does any member have a new model with full aluminium panniers fitted ? I would like your comments to settle my suspicions before I decide to go ahead and buy one.
Many thanks for your inputs.

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Re: Another pannier question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 23:19:47 »
I had SW-Motech and Givi the later did seem further forward than usual but no issues with pillion.
OEM metal panniers, I believe, are made by SW-Motech and sat further back on my 2017 Vee. I ended up ditching them in favour of soft panniers.
Found a pic of mine not a very good angle but might help.

Offline brettchallenger

• Bike: DL650 L8, Jawa 350
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:13:59 »
What sort of soft panniers do you use?  The grab handles get in the way of those which I have looked at, or the panniers melt on the exhaust.

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:30:55 »
Enduristan Monsoon 3 panniers. They can be used with or without racks. They also do a heat shield which slips over the end of the exhaust. But they are made of thick tough hard wearing material with a stiffened back, so I haven't had any issues. having daid that the exhaust on the AL8 is in a different position to older models.

Offline Dave L

• The older I get the faster I was......
  • Bike: DL650 AM3
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 20:33:16 »
Hi,

I bought a set of GIVI soft panniers and am very happy with them. I have used them on 4 separate trips with no issues. Capacity = 25 lt per bag and they are fully water proof, tested in monsoon conditions in Scotland last year. I bought some heat shield material off E Bay and stuck it to the back of one of the bags. I also bought a set of Shad brackets just to keep the bags off of the exhaust and the bike.