Author Topic: well that's odd  (Read 991 times)

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
well that's odd
« on: May 27, 2019, 12:13:01 »
I bought my 2015 650 V-strom a few months ago with 8000 miles on and I noticed the front brakes grumbling and snatching slightly when coming to a stop but not on the run, oh well I thought they might settle in, well no they have not and they are scuffing up the disks slightly as well,
I do not know what sort of pads they are until I take them out but it is all a bit odd, I have ordered a new set of standard pads and will fit them when they arrive, it also begs then question if they have been changed why at 8000 miles ? on my other bikes they seem to last a very long time.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Re: well that's odd
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 13:30:49 »
My Glee is 2015 and at 23k mls I’m just now about to change the rear pads, very low now, and the fronts will be done before the end of the year but still looking good.
I’m not a scratcher but use the brakes appropriately for sometimes spirited riding.
I would think your pads were changed early to try and improve the standard mediocre performance of the VStrom brakes.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 13:38:57 »
I would only use EBC HH grade pads,as in my opinion the original Suzuki pads are made from old bathroom tiles.HH improve things enormously and are much kinder to the discs.
Ian Mc.

Offline oslin

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:51:55 »
thanks blokes I have ordered EBC standard pads I have never had occasion to use anything else on all my bikes, but there is defiantly something a miss going on there when I am nearly stopped the front brakes are snatching, grumbling and squealing on the run they are fine but both disks on both sides look like someone has gone over them with wet and dry paper which they have not so we will see what's going on when I strip them down.

Offline oslin

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 15:42:32 »
Well the EBC standard pads arrived today and I stripped down the calipers and found TOYO HH pads installed they were looking a but ragged and grooved but with plenty of meat on them,
I cleaned up the calipers and installed the EBC standard pads and went for a 50 mile ride to bed the pads in, I have not noticed any difference in braking once I had bedded them in except there is no squealing or snatching or grumbling, I did towards the end apply some very heavy braking which brought in the ABS so I am very happy with the new pads and the disks are starting to polish up again which is good :-)
I Just thought I would let you all know the problem is solved.