Author Topic: Which V Strom  (Read 937 times)

Offline xxxfb

• Bike: Drz 400, Kawasaki Vulcan s
Which V Strom
« on: May 21, 2019, 15:40:15 »
Hi.
I am a new member, living in France and I could do with some advice, please. I want to buy a V Strom 650 (there are lots over here) and my preferred is the earlier one, the Wee Strom? I have a problem with my knees and need to reduce the bend angle as much as possible. I have already factored in the footrest lowering kit I've seen in your shop, however there also appears to be a difference between the 04/05/06 (?) models and the later ones. If my info is correct the longer wheelbase (07?) provides for lees of a knee bend, according to a motorcycle ergonomics website I found, anyway.
Can any of you old hands please tell whether this info is true and whether it makes any or no difference to the ride?
Cheers in advance
Mike

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Which V Strom
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 16:01:40 »
It is true that the 2007 onwards has a longer wheelbase, but isn't that all in the swingarm? I have always thought the peg positioning would be the same?

There are lots of tall DL650 riders on here with the Footpeg Kit, Bar Raisers and Touring Seat and they will give you a fair bit of knee relief. I've no idea how I managed to ride mine before I did all those mods, but somehow I did (and I was younger).
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 20:35:19 »
Swap the seat for one off the same era 1000cc model its higher, I'm over 6ft tall and over 60 yrs old, not changed anything else works fine for me. :thumb:

Offline xxxfb

• Bike: Drz 400, Kawasaki Vulcan s
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 21:47:52 »
Thanks for these. Cheers. Mike