Author Topic: Can’t move clutch lever?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline splang

• Bike: DL650X K9
Can’t move clutch lever?
« on: May 04, 2019, 07:18:43 »
Hi all
So I was pushing my bike out of the garage (shingle floor) so really tough and scaffolding to avoid etc etc
I turned it on and rode it forward to then push it out using momentum to get over some deep shingle.
I managed to stall the bike and now the clutch lever won’t depress at all.
I can change gear using the foot switch as usual and the n light does appear when you would expect ?
Any ideas at all please?
Thanks
S

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
Re: Can’t move clutch lever?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 08:08:57 »
Well that's an odd thing to happen, I would first check the cable or lever has not jammed before stripping any clutch parts down if they are OK you will have no option but to strip the clutch down to see what has happened

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:12:56 »
What model is it?
This will help in working out what the fault is.

Offline splang

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:30:40 »
Thanks and yes good point ! It’s a 2009 dlx :-) 650

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 13:24:17 »
Don’t strip down the clutch yet, take off the sprocket cover and you will see the other end of the clutch cable.Check there is nothing jammed in the mechanism, take off the two bolts holding the helix on to make sure it is all free before going in too deep into the clutch.Make sure the pushrod is free also.
Ian Mc.

Offline splang

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 11:37:45 »
So, had a good look under the sprocket cover and I note that the clutch (after adjustment) now does move but the pushrod does not move in or out when the clutch is operated.
I can still change gear up and down via foot pedal and the green N light illuminates when you would expect it to.
The bike doesn't start - engine warning light is red and oil light is lit up. Plenty of oil in engine though.
Should the push rod freely move in and out of the clutch as I cannot even move it in by hand.
I have removed it and the slave but still no joy?
Any thoughts welcomed?

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 13:05:33 »
When you say”slave” do you mean the “helix”? You won’t move the pushrod with your hand,I am assuming the bike is the same as mine as it’s a K9.The “helix” converts the linear “pulling” is motion of the cable and multiplies the torque many times plus converts it to a “pushing” motion to move the pushrod.Are you sure it’s not moving as it only moves a very small amount.You say the oil light is on ?I didn’t think this model had an “oil” light as such, and the engine should crank even if there was no oil in it.How much free play do you have on the lever ?
Ian Mc.

Offline splang

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 18:49:05 »
Yeah - the helix.
The oil light is a small oil can which lights up when I turn the key and attempt to start.
The engine doesn’t even crank.
Very odd - I have also checked the battery and this is fine.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 19:28:44 »
Doesn't the clutch need to be pulled in to start the engine? If the lever won't pull in, have you by-passed the clutch switch to get the engine to turn over?

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 08:46:18 »
 :text-goodpost: The engine won't crank unless you pull the clutch in. Try shorting the clutch lever switch.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:30:52 »
With respect, you may wish to deal with the clutch issue and not be side tracked into oil and engine firing issues which may have nothing to do with the clutch. Check that the lever is free to move and not siezed. I see you rode over shingle, be sure no small stone has got in the works.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.