Author Topic: Gear Shift  (Read 1088 times)

Offline olly18

• Bike: DL650 K5
Gear Shift
« on: May 01, 2019, 23:02:29 »
This query has probably been covered already on the forum, I  have noticed that my K5 can be difficult to get from 2nd to 1st gear on occasion ,  seems to happen more often than not when the bike is hot after an hour or so riding. I have done an oil change thinking it might solve it but didn't seem to make any difference, is it just a Wee thing or is it something needs looking at ?
Pat

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Gear Shift
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 00:32:27 »
I think you can adjust the clutch on your model easy enough somewhere near the gear shift lever, that's as much as I know!!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 06:43:38 »
Sounds to me like its the worm drive, It's located behind the front sprocket cover.

Over time, if not properly maintained they can wear.
Take a look at it and see if it's got lots of sideways movement when you pull the clutch lever, The movement should be smooth up and in movement to engage the clutch via a push rod.

That's something else you can check while you are there , the push rod , check it's clean and free moving.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 06:57:09 »
If you haven't already got a manual, I suggest that you go to the downloads page (this site) and download both the service and owners manual for the K4 650 (same for K4-K6).
For the clutch adjustment: Under sprocket cover, the worm gear normally needs servicing / grease and adjustment. Watch out for the small ball bearings when the worm gear comes apart. Follow the instructions in the manual on how to adjust the clutch. There are you tube videos available on the clutch adjustment. For info, the SV 650 clutch adjustment is the same as for the DL650. Shout if you get stuck.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:16:00 »
First, mine is an L2 (2012/13) but I had this problem last year. I also had difficulty finding neutral.
I changed the oil, but like you it made no difference. I did notice however that the clutch did not have to be released much before it bit. I took it to my local 'bike garage who adjusted the cable and all has been fine since. The cable had stretched a bit over the years?
I believe the clutch cable fixings and adjustments are different between the older/newer models though and the later one only has adjustment at the lever end.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 14:29:27 »
Mine is a K9 and has adjustments on both the lever end and also the”cam”behind the front sprocket cover.I was cleaning the crud out from behind the cover last year and noticed that the clutch cable had a couple of broken strands,fitted a new cable,much smoother and lighter.
I now keep a spare in the back box.
Ian Mc.

Offline olly18

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 17:51:07 »
Thanks lads for your input, plenty of info to go on there , I will post an update when I get time to look at it, or should I say when my mate has time to look at it,  he will be pleased that his evening will be taken up looking at my bike again.  :thumb:
Pat