Author Topic: Questions on odd issues on a V Strom 650 test  (Read 1732 times)

Offline scatz

• Bike: DL1050XT M0
Questions on odd issues on a V Strom 650 test
« on: March 26, 2019, 21:08:23 »
Hi All

Just test rode a Strom 650 today (demo bike with 200 miles), and enjoyed the peppy engine, and light weight of the bike. Took my wife on the back and she is completely sold on the pillion seat.

I'll probably buy it later this week, but just wanted to ask about some things I noticed about riding it.

Brakes > powerful enough for the bike, but keep feeling tugging/slight knocking in lever when using brakes as if ABS is kicking in all the time. Happened at any speed, and not even when using brakes firmly. Anyone else get this ?

Screen Buffeting from 30mph ! > Had this before on another bike (but from 50 mph that time), and know I'll have to try an aftermarket screen out. I'm assuming one of these MRA type wing things as the general consensus is the buffeting is because the flow needs to be cleaned up. I would not be a fan of a giant screen ! Anyone have experience of the Suzuki Vario screen option (they are selling for 100 currently) or just buying the wing and attaching the the current screen ? For info, I'm 5 ft 11 with a 31 inch inside leg.

Traction Control > Was in 2 when I started off, and was amazingly intrusive ! Ended up switching off for a while, then switching to 1 which was fine. I've never ridden a bike where the TC keeps cutting the power when there is no need or reason to. Anyone else get this ?

Seat > Would admittedly like a wider perch. However am assuming there's lots of options out there to sort that. Not bad though. Wife thinks it is wonderful on the back. Does anyone know of better seats ? I'd get a Sargent one as I've had them before, but they do not yet make one for this bike (and it'll be a lot of cash). Would a 1000 seat fit ?

I know there's quite a few points here, but any thoughts at all would be useful.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Re: Questions on odd issues on a V Strom 650 test
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 21:30:13 »
Hi. I have a 2015 Glee so maybe different screen but have the Suzuki Vario type screen and get little buffeting with spoiler in top position. I’m 5’10”.

Offline scatz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 21:37:37 »
Thanks for the info  :)

Online user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 22:02:42 »
I leave my 650 traction Control in 2 all the time and have only had it come on when playing about on less grippy stuff, never harsh when it came in either. ABS again only when playing has it cut in but again not harshly. Screen Givi air flow fixes it for most people as regards to buffeting/wind noise. No offence but could it be you're still in riding your old bike mode and my need to re adjust for the Vstrom?  :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline vstroppy

• Bike: 2014 vstrom 650
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 23:05:21 »
It sounds like the tyre pressures were way too high to give abs and traction control kicking in all the time. I have the older model but have ridden a few of the new ones and not managed to get the traction control to operate, can get the abs to work when braking hard on a bumpy road. I would give the seat a chance as the more I rode the new model the more comfy it felt,
Adventure before Dementia

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 23:45:59 »
Not noticed any of the issues you mention, apart from screen - and Givi airflow solved it for me, not looking through screen, either (and I'm 5'8'').

Pretty sure I would have noticed the other effects, as I came from a non-abs/traction control v-strom :shrug:  maybe try a different strom?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline scatz

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 08:59:02 »
No offence at all, I'm always open to any thoughts/ideas ;-)

I've ridden soooo many different kinds of bikes, owned around 20, over the last 10 years I've changed about 8 times. It's a habit I have which I need to get out of, got to settle down !

The upshot of this, is I've ridder many bikes with TC and the only one I've ever become to kick in was a Versys 1000 when accelerating maximum throttle which would have brought the front up, but the TC gently pulled me back. The good thing though is it goes away on the 650 if I use level 1 so all good :-) . Good to hear your thoughts on it.

I'll certainly look at the Givi Air. As long as I can comfortably see over the top, and it does not make the bike look like a barge, I'll consider it.

Offline scatz

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:01:49 »
Thanks for the info on TC, I think I'm fine with it, at the end of the day level 1 fixes it and you don't have the TC light on all the time (when switched off).

Seat - After riding the bike for a couple of hours, I agree with you. Was a bit firm and narrow to start with, but after about an hour started to mold to my back side (or maybe I ignored as I was enjoying myself too much !). Just needs breaking in I think.

Offline scatz

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 09:05:23 »
Yep, of the list of things which I was scratching my head over, the only one of real concern was the brakes. Everything else either is bedding in / changing setting / getting aftermarket bits. I rode a 650 a year ago and never had this, so I think it is the demo bike. Will see if I can take out the second hand one I am planning on getting for a brief spin and see if that's the same.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:48:53 »
The other thing I did to reduce turbulence was change the standard transit van mirrors for Aprilia ones. Seems a popular choice and worked for me.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:32:51 »
Pulsing through brake lever could be a warped disc.

Offline kingmunky

• Bike: DL650 L1
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 13:45:01 »
I've just replaced my stock screen c/w adjustable deflector for a larger/wider screen and the difference is great. That said, this wee deflector cost £20 altogether and solved about 90% of my buffeting issues, could ride on the motorway with my visor up if I wanted.

If you want to try it before ordering a new screen I'd be happy to post on the deflector for nothing if you'll cover postage.

Offline scatz

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 06:49:17 »
Thanks kingmunky for the offer, I'll PM you

Thanks also to everyone else for all the useful comments on this.

I'm planning on sealing the deal on a strom today either a 2017 (black) or 2018 (yellow) one, depends on the deal. Used to always buy new, but trying now to go for couple of years old to offset the big initial depreciation.