Author Topic: Screen buffeting  (Read 3645 times)

Offline kingmunky

• Bike: DL650 L1
Screen buffeting
« on: February 26, 2019, 21:24:25 »
After reading up on the issue and not being able to afford a full new screen, I opted to take a punt on one of the universal deflectors on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Clip-on-Windscreen -Windscreen-Extension-Deflector-Universal-Fit-UK/264094728121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) I pretty much went for the cheapest one I could find and figured I wouldn't miss the money if it sucked but this has changed the bike for me. Previously it got pretty rough at 50 and at 70+ it was unbearable, gave me a proper headache if riding long term. Now I can ride at 50+ with my visor open and at motorway speeds there's no issue at all. If anything, having a slightly wider deflector would be better but I'm happy with this. Will post a pic if anyone's interested in seeing it on the bike.
What else have you all found to be good for sorting the buffeting?

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Screen buffeting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 21:31:09 »
Adjustable bracket for the screen an tilt it more + mirror extenders and Kawasaki Z1000 mirrors. No more buffeting.

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 21:51:40 »
Quote removed

Ah, a mirror change might be the next thing I need. Still get a bit of excess movement just to either side of my head and thought the screen was a bit narrow but the mirrors do kick the air up a bit as well.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:10:10 »
It does seem to be one downside of these bikes.  I've been trying to solve it now for ages and can't get mine right.  I just can't sit at over 70mph, even with a Givi Airflow screen. 

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 14:39:28 »
It does seem to be one downside of these bikes.  I've been trying to solve it now for ages and can't get mine right.  I just can't sit at over 70mph, even with a Givi Airflow screen. 

How tall are you? I'm 5'10-5'11 and from a bit of testing, I noticed that the worst area was when I stood up about 2" higher than my seated height. That was wild at any speed. Seems OK now, I think that the screen is generally too narrow, short and too far forward. No matter where the air gets pushed out, it's got space to get pulled back below/inside the screen level before it hits you.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 16:01:12 »
sjrainsford. I can do much faster speeds than 70mph and no buffeting at all. I am 180cm tall.

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 18:12:55 »
I have had similar when I first bought my 2012 650.
After moving screen through all positions, I found removing the std mirrors and fitting bar end mirrors then having the screen at its lowest is fine as I then get the wind on my chest - similar to my old triumph - which I am happy with as my head isn't being blown all over the place. :shrug:
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 21:20:43 »
Took me a few goes to sort the problem but I have my Givi Airflow with the bottom screen fixed on the middle fasteners and the top screen an inch or so above the lowest it will go. As Dark-Strom says, I like the wind to hit me and think it helps a lot. I have the Aprilia mirrors fitted and have set them, one more forward than the other, just a fraction, and I think this makes the air flow around them uneven.
Of course this may not be the answer for all but it works for me, being able to sit at motorway speeds  :grin: for as long as I want, without any buffeting.
I'm 5' 10".  :) 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Valves

• Bike: ex-DL1000A L5 & NT1100A
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 22:27:48 »
I changed to a Givi screen and changed the mirrors and have just fitted one of these screen adjusters. Quite impressed with this as I'm 6' 1" and do a lot of motorway riding
You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 23:07:40 »
Givi Airflow and madstad bracket for me.  :thumb:
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline nickoff

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 21:17:25 »
Having not collected my Strom yet I find this topic interesting. At the moment, until Friday, I ride a Honda Transalp 700. When I first purchased the bike it had the tall Honda touring screen fitted which once I got above 60 mph made me feel almost sea sick with the buffeting etc. Eventually I bought an MRA Vario screen, not cheap, which improved things no end. Although not perfect I find that I can now ride long distances at speed without too much discomfort.
Nick.
I don't drink anymore, unfortunately I don't drink any less either. 😞

Offline kingmunky

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:59 »
Thanks for all the input folks, it's good to get some opinions on what works well. The little deflector I've bought is fine for now, and for £20 I really can't complain - at least it lets me get up to 80odd comfortably, but if I'm planning any long trips I think I'll take the plunge and go for a new mount and Givi screen.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 12:36:30 »
There is a screen being given away that has a flip up on it. They work well. I used the flip up from a vstrom touring screen on my XT1200. It works a treat.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...