Author Topic: car wheels query  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
car wheels query
« on: December 29, 2018, 14:07:25 »
My Fiat Doblo passed it's MOT recently with the comment that one of the wheels was a little out of true.  Probably pot hole damage, I thought it needed a wheel weight as on the move it vibrates a bit.
It's an alloy wheel and I can take it to a wheel straightening garage.
However when I pulled the spare wheel out I  found it to be corroded beyond repair and the tyre side wall splitting.
I have found steel wheels on Ebay at a reasonable price so should I replace the two rear wheels with steel jobs and keep one of the alloys as a spare? or replace the spare wheel and get the damage wheeled trued?
Given the state of the roads around here I wonder if Alloy wheels can cope as wheel as steel wheels?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: car wheels query
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 16:36:18 »
I'd go for the steel wheel option. Either a full set or your idea of just the 2 and an alloy spare. Bare in mind that you may need different wheel bolts as the alloy wheels will have a thicker boss.

My ancient Volvo has alloys, they are quite robust but became porous around the bead seal. I had the last tyres fitted by Halfords and they managed to clean up and seal where two other tyre fitting companies couldn't.

Trueing wouldn't be my preferred solution ever.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.