Author Topic: Maybe Hello?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
Re: Maybe Hello?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 19:49:00 »
For me my bike was always a tool, I commuted by motorcycle for over 30 years and bought bikes that worked with minimal input from me.
VFR’s, Fazer 600, ER5, CBF250, CG125’s, all of those were great, but though I only commuted on my 650 for one year before a job change meant no more daily commute, I’ve found it to be the most useable bike I’ve ever owned.
It’s got a good tank range, is cheap enough on consumables, it’s comfy, has decent weather protection, it’s reliable and has enough umph for most occasions.
I bought mine, a Glee, purely because of it’s useability, but quite like the look of it too.
As others have said, I think the finish would have suffered had I continued commuting (though I always used to paint my bikes with Copperslip in September and not clean it off until April at least, it didn’t look pretty, but worked).
Were I still riding it daily I reckon I’d still be happy, and I still can’t think of anything more useable (maybe a Dullville?).
Only thing I’d do is maybe lower it a touch, compared to your CBF it’s huge, for my occasional use it’s not an issue, but having feet flat on the floor when paddling about in start-stop traffic or shuffling into parking spaces etc is essential in my mind for a daily ride.
The big bonus for me is it turns out the bike is equally capable for the occasional use it gets nowadays. Whether nipping out to the shops, over to the TT, or for a lap of Europe, while others might do it faster or cooler, the 650 really is (these days at least) all the bike I’ll ever need.
If you can get a test ride, I reckon you’ll buy one

Offline Gizmo63

• Bike: 07 CBF1000, 1955 Tiger T110
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 09:31:48 »
Thanks for all the input.
Finding an extended test ride is proving a challenge, only seem to want to allow a couple of hours.
Also doing the maths of new with a properly pdi'd bike loaded with ACF and powergel and lowering kit vs a year old and having to get it all done.

Offline Munchen

• Looking for a DL1000
  • Bike: VFR800
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 12:32:52 »
What a great thread, reading owners impressions is the only way to form an anywhere near accurate opinion about a new bike.

I can't contribute much although I did have a 30 minute test ride on a 650 some a few weeks ago and the only fault I could give it was it being a touch underpowered.

To add a bit of perspective, I had just sold a ZX-6R and I still ride an old VFR so for a small twin it's probably fine.

I've also spent weeks trying to convince myself that I want a Vee because like most of us men, power and speed is more important than anything, but..... for a 500-mile a week commute, power and speed really shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the check list.

For the over 40s (like myself), I'd put comfort right up the top.  Add economy, ease/price of service, reliability and of course heated grips for a suitable ride to work especially when Mr J Frost has paid an overnight visit.

After reading plenty I came to the conclusion that the Wee is just about the best all-rounder for what I need.  I also commute to work but cover less than 150 miles per week.  In fact it'd probably be more accurate to say I "filter" to work and I'm looking forward to filtering on the Wee next week.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 12:44:00 »
 :thumb:  good thread! I think the 'poor finish' argument is a bit overstated though; there's a bit of truth in it, but exaggerated. I like keeping my bikes clean, and will never forget the shock of seeing my new (then) VFR750 starting to corrode after one night, after a dry winter run of 60 miles!! White fur everywhere. My wee never did that. It's partially one of those 'myths' that becomes a 'fact'  because it's constantly stated imho :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 13:28:07 »
I agree with Glassoon, I have had many makes of bikes over the years and salt is not a friend to any of them and faired bikes seem to fair better until you remove the fairing for maintenance and see the corrosion underneath so over all I do not thing there is much in it from make to make, I have had three Suzuki's and all have proved to be good work horses but of course cleaning is important to maintain their good looks particularly with spoke wheels which I avoid if I can.

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 01:48:58 »
I have the 1000 but my mate who is lighter and shorter chose the 650. Both bikes have been faultless (apart from my recalls) over 50,000 kms. His is lighter and more economical but doesn't have quite the suspension qualities of my 1000.
For the record, both of us are totally happy for hours on end on the standard seat while a 2017 screen on my 2014 model 1000 has proved a boon in reducing buffeting.
Neither of us would cruise over an indicated 120kph or so