Author Topic: 2015 DL650 4000 mile / interim service - feedback  (Read 853 times)

Offline sv650tim

• Bike: DL650 L5
2015 DL650 4000 mile / interim service - feedback
« on: July 31, 2018, 13:01:36 »
Hello all,

I have just carried out this service and thought it might help someone if I posted some feedback.

The only item you change on this service (following the owner's manual for mileage) is the engine oil - not the filter. There are a number of checks to make though which takes time ! I also carried out a few other checks at the same time - including synchronizing the throttle bodies.

What was difficult ?

1) Getting the fuel hose off (to remove the tank) was by far the most frustrating.
You need 3 hands ! The fitting is in three bits - a black section attached the fuel feed hose, a blue section that stays permanently attached to the metal fuel line coming out of the bottom of the tank - and that metal L-shaped fuel pipe itself coming from the bottom of the fuel tank. Best bit of advice (from Rusty Nuts on this forum) - tie a small tie wrap around the blue section to pinch the section together and keep it there - then you can use one hand to steady the tank (which is balanced on it's prop at the rear of course) - and the other to wiggle/pull the black fuel line until it frees itself. It was a pig of a job on my bike - but just takes persistence ! Not much fuel dribbled out when it finally came free.

2) Access to the front cylinder spark plug.
You need to move/remove the radiator - which means removing all the front cowling which comes off in one piece with the screen, dashboard and headlights via two 12 mm head bolts just in front of the headstock. Not a quick job ! There are four plugs to check in all - all of which had the wrong gap on my bike. Adjusted (despite the manual saying you can't) to spec.

3) Cleaning the air filter.
Couldn't find a garage with a normal air line that just sends out air without having to be connected to a tyre valve first. Eventually got my local garage to do it (they service my car).

4) Accessing the front throttle body air release valve (to adjust the synchronization).
Almost impossible with the tank raised. Fortunately the throttle balance was OK (using a Carbtune). Would have to leave this to the dealer I think if any adjustment was needed.

The job took me a whole week - doing about an hour a night and being VERY careful with bodywork and fittings - plus cleaning and greasing before anything went back on.

I don't know whether it's mind over matter - but the bike feels really good now - a definite improvement. Maybe the tweaks to plug gap and air filter clean are the reason. It's also a good way of bonding with the bike and getting to know it !!!

If anyone has any questions about the jobs - let me know.

Regards

Tim

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: 2015 DL650 4000 mile / interim service - feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 20:11:26 »
There is a definite glow of satisfaction outside at the moment.

I assume it's you Tim. :clap:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.