Author Topic: Replacing hoses  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Staffan

• Bike: DL650 K8
Replacing hoses
« on: June 10, 2019, 13:37:21 »
I bought a used 2007 DL650 last year, and I have no idea what has been serviced by the previous owners. Because of that, I presume nothing has been serviced before, which means that most things in the maintenance schedule are due for change.

I have replaced oil, oil filter, spark plugs and brake fluid and am going to replace the coolant as well.

In the maintenance schedule, it also says that the fuel line, radiator hoses and brake hose should be replaced every four years. My bike is 12 years old, so I guess all of them should be changed.

Does everyone regularly replace these, or only when they go bad? I think the brake hose should be the most important one because of road safety.

In the service manual, I find no information about what type of hoses to use. Should I ask the dealer for Suzuki brand hoses, or can I just buy hoses from an automotive dealer?

As I'm planning to replace the coolant, I guess it would be a good idea to replace the radiator hoses at the same time.

Also, which dimensions do I need? I don't want to take it apart just to measure. I'll check the Haynes service manual as well, when I get home, it might have more info about the hoses.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
Re: Replacing hoses
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 18:53:15 »
I would imagine the simplest way would be to replace with Suzuki genuine parts. It might not be the least expensive though?

Offline Chris

• Bike: Suzuki V Strom 650 2012

Offline Andy52

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 (2006), Honda PC800 (1989)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 22:15:23 »
I've never had to replace a radiator hose in nearly 20 years of running old liquid-cooled bikes, nor heard of this being a regular maintenance procedure, so I'm wondering if this is really necessary. Brake hoses are a different matter, braided lines do work much better than old rubber ones.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 22:22:30 »
I wouldn't mind replacing all my brake lines with braided ones.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 22:29:36 »
In December HEL run an annual sale.

I've yet to fit the rear hoses I bought last December, as they look a right pain to fit. Will have to tackle it when I get time.

Staffan, I would inspect all the hoses for signs of wear/cracks but if they look OK I'd leave them, with the exception of the brake lines if still original.

Offline Staffan

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 05:42:38 »
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the brake lines.  :)

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:39 »
Replacing the brakes hoses also means renewing the brake fluid as well which would be good. Using a set of stainless hoses will almost certainly improve the brakes as well, which is a bonus as the brakes on these bikes are only marginal at best. Whilst your tinkering with the brakes it may be worth cleaning and lubing the caliper sliders plus the pistons and cylinders as well. All of these are known to corrode and get sticky especially if the bike has been used over the winter on salty roads.