Author Topic: V-Strom 1000XT vibration help  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Chatty

• Bike: 2018 1000XT, 2011 Burgman 400
V-Strom 1000XT vibration help
« on: July 28, 2018, 10:26:43 »
Morning, looking for a bit of help from anyone with a new V-Strom 1000. I chopped my 2015 DL1000 with 26k miles on it in for the new 1000XT and was immediately hit with severe handlebar vibes. I soldiered on to the first service where I warned the dealer that they were so bad I’ve not wanted to ride the bike. Their response was pitiful in that there was nothing wrong and it must be my body resonance!!
So I got our engineering team on the case to do some vibration analysis and they measured that there was none on the RHS of the engine. Inspection of this area shows that the engine is hard bolted up to the frame with no clearance whilst on the other side it’s about 5mm.
So if you are still reading this what I am asking for please, is that anyone with the latest DL1000 could you have a look at this engine mount before I tackle the dealer/customer services again?
Thanks in advance.
Chatty
ps love everything else about it #banana

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Re: V-Strom 1000XT vibration help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:51:31 »
I don't have the latest version, mine being a L6. However while the engine is as you say hard bolted up to the frame on the right, there is still no clearance on the left. What you perceive as a 5mm clearance is actually taken up by a special adjusting collar on the left side frame mounting. There is no way that a clearance could be left between the motor and frame. It just isn't done.
  There are two obvious factors that can cause excessive vibration. One is improperly torqued engine mounting bolts. I had that issue on my former Triumph Explorer. A retorquing all of the engine mounting bolts which will include those adjusting collars, may be required. Sometimes even the fitment of crashbars will result in insufficient care being taken when retorquing the engine mounts. Have that looked at and your problem might be solved.
 Sometimes also if the throttle bodies get sufficiently out of synch this can result in undue vibration. Mine are slightly out of synch currently but not sufficiently to cause issues and I generally find this motor to be a very smooth one as big twins go. My bet is on the engine mounting retorque. 

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:25:02 »
 :text-goodpost:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Chatty

• Bike: 2018 1000XT, 2011 Burgman 400
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:40:59 »
Thanks for replying, I had previously ruled that out as the crash bars were fitted at the first service with no difference in the vibration before and after. I also suggested the throttle bodies which they discounted too even though I said there was a big hole in the fuelling at 3-4K but that is probably Euro 4 emission based.
I will have another look at the mounts but if nothing changes the bikes going back, it’s just too painful to ride.
Chatty

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:46:18 »
If you have the Suzuki crash bars remove the cross bar to see if the vibration levels change.   My  14 was always a bit rough, I removed the cross bar and it helped a lot, I never refitted again. Its only two bolts to remove, wotth a try. 

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 13:02:27 »
In my mind you shouldn't have to put up with this sort of vibration in this day and age, the dealer you bought it from ( if you did buy it from a dealer ?) should be addressing this issue good luck with getting it sorted  :thumb:

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 13:51:11 »
Thanks for replying.

OK, point taken but there are other hidden engine mounts other than those used by the Crashbar mounts so I would still suggest getting them all retorqued.

I can understand how the crossbar of the Crashbars could be part of the cause from a resonance point of view. Indeed an L6 that I rode with Touratech Crash Bars, had considerably more vibes than mine with the OEM items. However that crossbar is there to facilitate sharing an impact with the bar on the other side, so removing it is a possible compromise.

One other item to consider that I have seen to cause excessive vibration on another make/model, is a malfunctioning injector. That bike was also a twin and a replacement injector cured the issue. Just something else to get checked out.

As is suggested this is a brand new bike and the dealership should sort it out. If not I would mention to them that Your next port of call will be the importers. to be honest their attitude to date is poor. Perhaps also get a trusted friend to ride the bike for an unbiased opinion ?

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 16:00:09 »
Out of balance butterflies in the throttle bodies can be easily be identified. If the vibration is there on the over run I.e.when the throttle is closed then the problem lies elsewhere. You need to push the dealer. Try and get a ride on another identical bike to see if it's the same. It's up to the dealer to sort it out and if he can't or won't then a trip to trading standards and push for a replacement or full refund is called for. Like any modern high tech automated manufacturing process, things can and do go wrong and an unfortunate combination of major engine components e.g. crank, piston and conrods can cause problems like this. The first BMW R1100s I rode vibrated like an old Triumph twin and the dealer said it was due to guess what... throttle bodies. Needless to say I didn't buy it.