Author Topic: v-banana 2018 First Ride out  (Read 1005 times)

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
v-banana 2018 First Ride out
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:57 »
Had her a week but the weather has been shite - but first summer sun today so took her out for a 200 mile blast this afternoon through some of Hampshire's finest roads. Chicken Strips duly Removed

All pretty much as expected - Engine and suspension absolute peachy. Pulling out of corners at full grunt, with the low rpm torque pull, I'd even say this thing may be quicker than my highly modified SV1000S, out of corners, which does not really pick up till 4K, then pulls like a train. No comparison through mid-range and top, but I really enjoyed just feeding in the lo end pull by being a gear lower than I'd be usually.

Not used to such a high riding position but this suspension gives confidence, even lent pretty fully over. Could have put knee to ground many times today. The turn in is of course slower, but found myself shifting half a buttock to the left or right, pull her down with you - no problem at all hustling this beastie.

The engine is great, but clearly struggling to 'breathe' with stock exhaust, filter etc. Feels like its being held back. Smooth but maybe just a tad 'throttled'. Already thinking about pulling STV's, modding airbox and decent Full exhaust. She needs more air man!

Seat for me, not perfect. I found myself wanting to sit half on the ridge to the rear seat. easily fixed in time. The feet position super comfortable, until feet down, then pegs in the way. Sure I'll learn to accommodate over time - Spent the last 20 years on sports bikes so no bother.

The screen. Bloody Awful for me. I'm 5'11" and had the full headbanger vibration. Am taking a 300 mile route tomorrow and the whole thing is coming off. Will sort a screen in time but for now, no screen better.

TCS - No idea, been turned off all Day! Brakes - pretty good vs SV1000, better bite and feel. ABS flashed occasionally, not that I felt any interception at all.

Overall (so far) everything I expected, few things to sort, but worth every bloody penny

Taking her for a beach trip tomorrow for a quick spot of fishing.
If you see the V-banana driving round portland /chesil beach tomorrow - wave and say Hello!

Top Banana!
If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: v-banana 2018 First Ride out
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:32:47 »
If it's the same as my 2014, they benefit from a decat, end can, and power commander, that opened up the mid and top end on mine, but only to an extent, the heavy flywheel,valve timing and general tune is where the big restriction is to top end power, that's how the bike is set up so it gives a good but relaxed low end and mid range.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 20:12:30 »
Excellent write up Infidel. :text-goodpost:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 13:05:20 »
She's now 750 miles new  :obscene-drinkingchug: and just back after another long ride this am.

Few more notes, after more miles.

YES the yellow seat marks easily - (thinks - no shit sherlock).

Clutch  - love the slipper, SOOOOOO much better than the Back torque limiter on my SV1000.  I do hear a little clutch out noise, nothing to worry about - but was kind of hoping more silent action given the history. I have a spare 2.5K SV1000 Engine with a newish basket. Might ship that off to sharealike later this year as he did my sv one 60,000 miles ago and its still perfect.

RG Engine guards - going to need em. I like the black frame heel protectors - which are already showing marks (great - that's what they are for), but I'm having to try hard not to mark clutch/mag cases with my size 12 plates'o'meat. Saw another v-banana in Staines recently. His were all scratched to hell and the bike was nearly new.

Tyres - these battlewings seem fine in dry, but rode a wet road yesterday nr loomies and can't say I enjoyed their wet feel.

Did a few well forgotten b-roads yesterday, and the TC's first real outing. One road had loose stones in a slightly raised central form,(from years of 4x4's and no maintenance).  I cooked the corner a touch, line was wrong and onto the loose stuff in the middle. Sphincter well clenched but she pulled down in big flash of ABS and two flickers of TC on the way off the loose powering out. Had I been riding the sv1000s, I'd be in the ditch sure as eggs is eggs.

Self analysis suggests over-confidence + over-comfort were likely causes. This thing is so magic carpet hustling at speed you have to stay even more alert.

Full tank predicted range was showing 220, emptied on a+b roads I'd done 186. prediction improves as tank emptied.  No bother to be honest. Cruising at 70, min throttle on the flat, I'm showing 50-55mpg (predicted). up to 80mpg throttle off.

Throttle - used to sv with a trigger throttle, so for me not a problem. But it can surge early, and is not perhaps as smooth and tractable as I'd like on crap surfaces like gravel carparks and loose stones. I had one bump surge which could have ended off were I not already aware of it and clutched in. I have an old SV1000 TRE which is looking at me right now saying - he he he.

I'm having a few height/ergonomic issues. I love the feet to knee and hand position when riding, by I'm only 1/2 foot down without shifting cheek. Not confidence inspiring. Also the shape of seat not ideal (yet) will give it a while yet - but a lower or aftermarket is option, don't want to lower bike. And I'm 5'11 btw. Stock is a bit too firm as well, its OK for me for now on relatively short 2/4 hr runs. If you are a biker with preparation 'h' (TM) in your shopping basket - I'd suggest stock seat is not for you. 

Oh and the good news, is the banana color is growing on me (slightly).  But silver beak and rear grab will have to be black.

Anyone need a 2018 beak swap? Hate your black beak, keeping you up at night? Wish it was silver? talk to me. 

If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 13:56:29 »
Your impressions of your new bike are very similar to my original thoughts when I rode a demonstrator prior to getting my 2016 model. I found the original seat OK but was lucky enough to pick up a more or less new Sargent item for a good price from a forum member who had no use for it. I know what you mean about the power. After years decades of chasing big power mainly with IL4's it can seem a bit lacking occasionally but I was looking to slow things down a bit so it doesn't bother me enough to make me want to change it. I tried to live with the ugly suitcase that masquerades as a silencer but couldn't and changed for a Delkevic slip on. It doesn't feel any different but has a slightly better note without being noticeably louder. The handling and the comfort has been the real revelation for me and is superb for days out and touring around Aberdeenshire and the Highlands. The standard screen is truly horrendous and I replaced it with a MRA which is better but not great. I've taken to wearing ear plugs on the bike for the first time in 40 years of riding. I've got close to 10k on mine now and I always enjoy riding it. It'll take me and the wife out for a fun 450 mile day around the NW Highlands in comfort and will carry more than enough luggage for serious touring if I ever decide to give my old FJR a rest.

I hope you continue to enjoy yours  :)