Author Topic: Advice on new V Strom the new 2017 model or the 2011 to 2016 model?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Captain Sensible

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a brand new (lucky me) 2017 V Strom 650 (the one with the 'adventure pack' which means side panniers, mud guard , hand guards and centre stand). Or do I get the previous model for a lot less money?

Has anyone got one yet?

I did have a (the bronze coloured one) 2013 Wee and I loved it. Currently I miss the Strom 650 and have a lovely but slightly pedestrian Kawasaki W 800 (you know the Bonnie look like).

Any views welcome.

Dave
Keep On Riding

Offline CandyFloss

• Bike: V Strom DL650 2017
Re: Advice on new V Strom the new 2017 model or the 2011 to 2016 model?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 20:28:01 »
Back in 2014 I was one of the many who bought the new DL1000 only to realise that it was a mistake. I had traded up from a 2012 DL650 thinking that it would be everything as good and better. It  wasn't, see the ECU thread. My Local Dealer tried their best at all times but could never remedy the problem which was eventually sorted with a new ECU nearly two years later and yes it transformed the bike but I always felt that the 650 was a better allrounder. I test rode the 2017's V stroms back to back. I thought the 1000 was no better than mine, infact I thought mine was better perhaps because it had more miles? I then rode the 650, well the rest is history, bought it on the spot. Do I regret it. Not one bit. There is a lot of press deriding the suspension and brakes but both are more than adequate. I don't carry a passenger if I did well it might be lacking. As it is I am well pleased with it and would go so far as to say as did the sadly missed Journalist Kevin Ash that it is the best bike you can buy. This new 2017 version has moved the game on still fiurther.

Offline Vstrombandit

• Bike: DL650XT M0, Triumph Trophy
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 20:57:26 »
Thoroughly agree. The DL1000 has missed the mark for me and I'm pleased I changed my 2016 (2015 model) for a Versys 1000. I had the opportunity try the latest 2017 incarnation and found the fuelling was worse than my 2016 and unless you were ringing its neck the ride was terrible with the engine threatening to stall on a low/constant throttle. The dealer asked me if I would like to give feedback on the ride as I'm often test riding machines to include in or local IAM bike group magazine. I declined and when pushed admitted I found it F@*" A! On the other hand I found the new 650 to be faultless. Having had a number of the 650 versions, Wee GT, Wee X, and Glee this one was a serious advance for the breed. I find it strange that having developed such a high quality machine in the 650, the 1000's engine gives such a poor ride needing the ECU flashed or remapped. This is a shame as the road holding is excellent in the bends but the last thing I need is the worry of an engine stall on a roundabout of doing a slow speed u turn and loosing control of the clutch , making the front end dive and the bike stalling in the middle of the manoeuvres. Another downer for me was the standard seat as my average ride is around 150 miles for a bag of chips and touring days are over 250 miles at a time. Talk about sore
Semi retired taking it easy but happy to make progress. Riding with Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists and RoSPA Advanced Motorcyclists.

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:58:11 »

great little bike in whatever form. Meek and mild, basic suspenders but very capable within its limitations.
I have a 2014 Vstrom 1000 (without any issues) but I introduced an older mate of mine to road riding on a 2015 650XT which he loves. Contrary to other opinions the supension isn't a patch on the more generously equipped 1000s and the performance is a lot less so depending on your needs you may want to consider one of those instead (just make sure your happy with its low down smoothness).
As I say, mine is a gem and easily able to move at walking pace but some other people have issues in this regard apparently. Try it yourself if you want a subjective opinion. What proves difficult and an issue for some just isn't for others

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:49:37 »
I've not ridden a 650 but have a 2016 V-Strom 1000 and haven't had any problems with stalling/fueling etc. Has been faultless from day one. I've replaced the screen and got a Sargent seat which is good but to be honest neither me or my wife found the standard seat that bad.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:27 »
If you owned the glee model strom I'm sure you'll love the 17 model, smaller, lighter bit more power. OK main components are the same but its a good make over. I've not heard a bad report, which is more than one can say about the 1000!
I own the 14, sure it has great torque, brakes etc but itz a lumpy bugger it traffic and heavy. I've spent my money on this now so it'll have to stay awhile but if I buy another it will be the 650 not the 1000.
If I was you I'd buy the base  bike and save money. The panniers are mega small, sump guard plastic and the all over priced.  Buy after market like givi. And I'd miss the xt, if Suzuki's nuts and bolts are anything to go by I  can see the spokes being a rusty mess in a few years.

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 13:17:50 »
Could be worth down gearing the 1000's for both better slow speed running (and better acceleration)?

I've just gone down 1 tooth (front) on my 900 SD and it has made it so much better to ride around town & through traffic, not sure I have noticed the 6% increase in acceleration though as she went like scalded cat on standard gearing.

Offline CandyFloss

• Bike: V Strom DL650 2017
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 16:45:47 »
I didn't want to hijack this thread by beginning a slanging match with the 1000. I wanted to be the first to inform Captain Sensible of the virtues of the DL650. Like him I too have previously owned a 650. What I wanted to impart is that in my opinion the new 2017 I has grown up. For example, the non adjustable front forks of 650 was a real surprise to me but because of no adjustability they're budget as someone has already mentioned. Maybe someone at Suzuki gave them some thought because they are bang on. It is also more attractive than the previous model. CS you will not be disappointed you will keep up with any Vee owner in the twisties Go test ride it.

Offline Stromivarius

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 16:36:09 »
I'm also thinking of buying new 650XT, Sold my 2011 DL650, a couple of years ago when we moved house. I knew I wouldn't use it much as I had a fair bit of work to do on new home. I've been using my RV200 but do miss having a bigger bike. I was always happy with my Strom, so after looking at many other makes and models, I popped into Crescent Suzuki this afternoon and arranged a test ride for later this week.

I'd be happy to hear any comments, for or against

:)

Offline jmee54

• Bike: DL650 L7, Guzzi 73 Eldorado, 71 Ambasador, 79 Convert
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 19:48:48 »
Mine's a 2017 650 base model. I have fitted the Givi bash plate which was admired by the dealer today (cheap with free postage from Italy). Cast wheels are easier to look after. A slightly snatchy drive has been pretty much eradicated with cable adjustment.
90 mph down the A30 today in the rain with my huge top box on and it was rock steady.
It is plenty quick enough for my needs. It stops and it handles well enough and in my opinion, looks better than the 1000. I have ridden mine two up when my partner's new Indian Scout died and it coped admirably - she did moan that the seat made her bum ache after a bit - no complaints at the front - she does moan a lot too! In short I think it is a top bike and I don't yearn for anything bigger. I would tour anywhere on it.