Author Topic: Thinking of coming back to the fold - Anyone else returned after missing a Strom  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Jay2

So thinking of returning to a Strom, had a 650 but sold it a few years ago and swapped and changed a few bikes since and seem to have come full circle.  A DL1000 seems to suit the need for something cheap to run, reliable, good for one or two-up touring, plus loads of space for luggage, and decent power for all the Mrs 'essentials' when travelling.

And to be honest missed my 650, currently got a Tiger 800 and its a nice bike, but every time there is something up with it the parts are expensive, everything is connected to the ECU, so you need a laptop and Triumph software to even just cancel your dash icons.  :fix:

So anyone else come back after finding there is nothing really better for no nonsense biking?
Cheers
Jay
"If in doubt, flat out"

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
I traded in my Glee for an Africa Twin.....I wanted more torque and power for two-up trips. While the AT is great for pillion trips, when riding solo I really miss the V Strom. As my solo trips out number two-up outings, I'm thinking I may return to the fold as well. The lightness of the 650 and the responsive 'character' of its engine are calling loudly!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
I have the proven solution to your problem, own the Africa Twin and the Glee  :smirk:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
Yes, I have thought about that option. Trouble is, I've also got an XSR700 and a CRF250L lurking in the garage. I tried rationalising the collection down to two bikes last year but only managed to last 5 weeks before I spotted the CRF250L advertised for a reasonable price! I can't justify keeping four bikes - it's hard enough trying to decide which one to take out at the moment. I'll enjoy the AT for a bit longer but I keep looking at pics of the new DL650. A white one, with a Givi rack, PM soft luggage racks, bash plate, hand guards and centre stand. Not that my mind's made up, of course!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Fortunately, I am not tempted by the new 650 at all  :-x
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
I had a tiger800 for two years before the strom. I liked the light weight and the smooth motor at low revs in traffic etc but disliked the brakes, suspension and the triumph dealer and the whole corporate triumph thingy. I'm old fashioned.
The strom is bigger and heavier and more awkward at low speed but its real world faster, great brakes and OK suspension.  Plus there's more room two up and more pull when loaded up.
My strom has been very reliable,  3years old and 18k. Apart from the new ecu in oct 15 its never been near a dealer, I service it myself.
At the 12k £400 service on my tiger I told them the shock was gone and the front disc's warped, after a road test the dealer agreed but ttriumph said no as shock was not leaking and while the brakes where indeed warped they where not warped enough!  No more triumphs for me