Author Topic: New main lights issue  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Descolada

New main lights issue
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:09:13 »
While performing my pre-ride checks this morning I noticed that my main lights were not working, neither was high beam. I checked all other lights (indicators, stop, side and high viz) and all those were working just fine. I assumed a fuse and proceeded with my commute to work (I still had my high viz and sides).

At some point along the way both lights began to operate as normal again. I watched for any sign of flickering that might suggest a short or bad connection, but the lights are steady and no "wire jiggling" results in flicker or failure.

So it's not a fuse and it doesn't look like a bad connection (I've been riding alot recently and there has been no issue prior to this).

I'm wondering if it could be a sticky relay? I assume that the main light circuit is activated via a relay and wonder if this is the first sign of an impending failure (I know relays can get pitted once they get old enough and my bike (AK9) has never had the light relay replaced). Maybe the potholes shook it loose :icon_batterup:

Does this sound at all likely?

Thanks in advance.

Offline AlanT

• Bike: DL650A L4
Re: New main lights issue
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:38:03 »
Sounds like a dodgy connection to me.
As standard there are no relays in the lighting circuit, but it is a good thing to add (I'm currently putting together an add-on witing loom which includes 2 x relays to install during the winter lay off).

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:42 »
Hopefully just a bad connection, (connectors behind the left fairing especially prone over time), but possibly starter switch issues. The following should make a good read for you...

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=28497.0

It is mad that we have to add our own relays to bikes, Suzuki should have had it covered

"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 13:48:29 »
The highest incidence of problems comes from the headlight bypass switch that is part of the start button mechanism on 2005 (K5) and later models. Those who ride in salt water will also have a high incidence of problems with the connectors on the back of the radiator plastic top shield or a large connector under a rubber cover in the left side of the fairing. Most bike manufacturers cheap out on headlight relays. Maybe it's a carry over from the times most only had one headlight.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 22:26:41 »
Most bike manufacturers cheap out on headlight relays. Maybe it's a carry over from the times most only had one headlight.

Most bike manufacturers don't fit relays for headlamps as it wasn't needed before. All wiring was kept nice and simple, even if it wasn't the most effective due to voltage losses through thin wires and clunky switches.
I would recommend fitting relays to any bike, old or new, but it's a hassle and an expense that some people could do without.

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 19:59:45 »
Had the same problem on my 2014 Vee earlier this year,  I cleaned and lubed(with dielectric grease) the connection under side fairing, haven't had a problem since.

Offline philthunder

• Bike: Strom 1000 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:55 »
ACF50 spray before during and after winter, on any connectors and switches, will really help stop corrosion. If you are into disconnecting plug and sockets, ACF50 grease, over the pins. Wash salt off as often as you can, and then a bit of spray, will keep corrosion at bay. WD40 is good but it tends to evaporate quickly, it is really a short time help. A can of dialectic spray grease, poked up into the bar switches will keep the working with smoother operation. Waxol on the frame welds and exposed nuts, applied with an old tooth brush, will keep them looking like new, it evaporates and leaves a wax coating that WD40 or white spirit will remove it if you want the Summer polished looks.
What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare, and rev the nuts off the beast.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:37:05 »
Just a quick update on this one folks. I finally got round to investigating this issue and traced it to the large connector behind the left fairing cover.

I removed the cover and performed a visual inspection of the connector block. Someone had worked on this prior to me owning the bike as there was electrical insulation tape rather than factory harness material around the block connectors. I disconnected the block and performed a closer inspection. Surprisingly there was no sign of the corrosion I was expecting, but there was a faint brown tarnish on the connector where the thicker black with white tracer cable sits. This suggests some heating or shorting of that connector. I removed the connector from the block and cleaned the contacts. I also made sure there were no signs of melting on either the cable or the block. I crimped the connector a little to make a more solid connection and then applied ACF50 anti-corrosion grease to all the contacts in the block.

I had stripped back some of the electrical tape as part of the investigation so replaced this with self amalgamating rubber tape, reconnected the block and then tested thoroughly. In the six tests I saw no repeat of the issue and no other lights had been affected. I completed the job by wrapping the large connector block AND it's rubber cover in a layer of cling film in order to add a new level of protection to this area. Tested again and then refitted the side panel.

I will continue to monitor but think this will have resolved the issue.  :fix:   

Offline greywolf

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 13:42:25 »
That's the earth connection which is often the connection that fails in that large connector. It carries a larger load than any other wire.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s