Author Topic: 2014 ecu issues for potential buyer  (Read 1127 times)

Offline casfella

• Bike: GS1200
2014 ecu issues for potential buyer
« on: June 17, 2017, 15:48:29 »
looking to buy a 2014 DL1000,do they all need new ecu's or are there exceptions?

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Re: 2014 ecu issues for potential buyer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 16:01:32 »
I am guessing you have looked at this thread, well worth it if you have a coffee brandy whatever !
Some really good well informed comments from owners
http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=27820.0
I suspect they are all like that, just some riders 'live' with it and do not realise, believing it is just the nature of a V twin.  I bumped into a chap with one last year who was oblivious of the issues but certainly complained about throttle response on his. (this was at a local Bike meet). My opinion is if it has not had the upgraded ECU look for one that has, do not know Suzuki position on Bikes out of warranty re this  :smirk:
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline casfella

• Bike: GS1200
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 16:39:28 »
Cheers ,will look for a later one or one that's had the upgrade. :)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 21:50:32 »
I must admit I was one of those that was really happy with my bike and still are, but just assumed that whatever was happening it was because that is how big V twins are.
But after reading all these threads about how good the new ECU was I asked for one. Initially I was turned down by Suzuki but after a few words they relented and issued a new ECU.
I was and still are amazed at the difference in the bike it has made a good bike great.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 05:31:34 »
Get one with a new ecu.  Some bikes are worse than others,  mine was a bad one, stalling cutting out etc.  I was for selling up but new ecu fixed it and I still have it. There are days I hate it,  warm weather, heavy traffic as its not easy to ride like a 4 cylinder bike but I think its behaviour is normal for a big twin with the new ecu, not before with the old ecu.