Author Topic: idle hammer ?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
Re: idle hammer ?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 18:07:57 »
Don't mind at all, but don't know the answers off the top of my head. I'll check next time I wheel it out and post back.

Most of the time I don't notice it, as I said before. It's only when it comes up on the forum from time to time I remember it! To be honest, I'd rather solve the high pitch cam chain whine than the idle hammer, as that detracts from the lovely v-twin sound!

Offline Mac H

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 18:29:22 »
I'm following these technical threads with interest and being  new to the V Strom and not knowing wether I have IH at all could someone please explain just what it feels/sounds like.  I'm down in Croatia on the bike at the moment, so will have had plenty of time to see if I have it by the time I get back. I'm pretty sure I've got the clutch chudder thing, (2003, DL 100) Sorry if I'm going over old ground, its a bit hard to search the forum down here on me crappy old mobile.  Cheers, Mac.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 19:44:42 »
IH is a good heavy knock felt through the footrests when at idle in neutral with the clutch lever released. Might only do it when hot.
Basket damper problem is more a clatter from the clutch side in the same idling situation but when bad is also accompanied by vibration as you ride in all gears at the same engine rpm band between say 2000 to just short of 4000 rpm. Feathering the clutch lever a hairs breadth to where its about to slip kills most symptoms if its the clutch chudder while you ride.
Neither problem is going to interrupt your holiday.
Hope the weather is better there than here in West Yorks.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Mac H

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 02:56:40 »
Thanks for the reply, I got the bike last minute before the trip as I had to take the engine out of my other bike, 2003 FLH Harley, to address a crank runout problems.  So as you can see I'm used to V twins with knocks and vibes etc :grin:.

Coming over the Alpine passes the Chudder I think I have has been at its most annoying coming in just where you want the torque to drive you out of the tight bends.

As for the knock at idle through the pegs, I'll have a see tomorrow.  So far I think its been more of a change in engine tone to a clunckier sound when hot, if that makes sense.  Thanks again, Mac.

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 10:04:18 »
When 'Sharealike' speaks pay attention !  :bow-blue:

He fixed my clutch basket with the 'chudder' winter just gone. Top man.  Well done John :)

1800 miles round Spain was a total joy.  I read with interest your comments on a thread re your ride on the latest V strom .
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 20:36:18 »
Do you feel it more through any particular part of the bikes structure?
Does the nature change clutch in versus clutch out?
What difference if any as the engine temperature increases?
Do you feel it as you coast to a halt?
Took the bike out yesterday, so had a chance to check this.

I'm not sure I feel it at all, it's more a case of hearing it, although sometimes I notice it more than other times.
I can't discern any change with the clutch in or out.
It seems more prevalent when the engine gets warmer.
Again, I'm not sure I can feel it. It's more of an irregular pattern of regular "clanks". So: clank clank....clank....clank clank clank...clank. Etc.
Hope that helps, although I suspect not!

Offline Mac H

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 20:39:14 »
It sounds like yours sounds like mine sounds like  :grin:.