Author Topic: Some gloves advice  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Some gloves advice
« on: October 30, 2009, 19:25:53 »
I have a pair of Bikers Tallinn Gore-Tex gloves and they have taken some punishment in my accident 2 months ago. The weather is getting colder by the day and I'm looking to replace them with some good, but not too expensive gloves. I'd want to spend as little as I can (who doesn't?) and still end up with warm gloves that give good protection, some kind of knuckle protection is preferred. Ideally something that costs £50 or less. There is an bewildering amount of gloves available, all claiming more or less the same features (wind + water proof, good protection, comfortable, etc.) Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on what I should be looking for or avoiding?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fatbelly

Re: Some gloves advice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 00:46:51 »
At  the last count my brother and I had 14 pairs of gloves in the lock-up. I know, we've become a bit obsessive.
Cheapest ones were a tenner, dearest ones £65.
Believe it or not the best ones in the last few years have come from Lidl and Aldi when they do their bike gear week.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:52:09 »
I know they are not everyone's favourite shop on this forum but Hein Gericke sell excellent winter gloves in the £50 range and they always do well in the 'Ride' tests. I have used two pairs of their Mistral winter gloves (£50) each lasting 3 years of winter commuting. They were warm, 100% waterproof and looked good.

Winter gloves are always a compromise between thicker are warmer but you lose feel. Also do you have heated grips? If you do you can get away with thinner waterproof gloves that are much nicer to ride with and give better feel.

Remember to tuck your gloves inside you jacket sleeves to keep them waterproof, so wear your jacket when your buying them and check they will fit. If you even once get water in your gloves by wearing them over the top of your sleeves the gloves are never the same and will leak. Wet hands are the coldest most horrible experience on a Winter ride bar getting your goolies wet when your trousers have leaked around the crutch.

My current pair of 'Racer' Gloves are fantastic but were £100 from Infinity - They are worth it though - 100% waterproof made of Kangaroo and soft, supple yet warm - Can thoroughly recommend them

Last tip is to steer clear of colours where possible, as they look scruffy quick and the dyes often run staining your hands etc.

Best of luck in your quest - you should get a nice pair for £50 - Don't be tempted with a cheap pair

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 19:26:41 »
I don't have heated grips unfortunately and don't want to spend money on heated grips for a Yamaha SR125. A recent accident has spoilt my plans to get a licence and bigger bike before the colder days started. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the gloves you recommended.

Any other recommendations are welcome still.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 19:40:59 »
Anyone have any opinions on 3 fingered gloves?

Offline Sven

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 19:51:53 »
Yeah, they're great for people with 3 fingers

Sorry but..........someone had to lol

Offline Neville

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 20:24:55 »
So are we talking the Simpsons here??

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

http://www.rblr.co.uk
http://www.freewheelers.org.uk

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 20:56:37 »
Get a pair of of Tuzo TZ5 gloves, they came out really high up in tests last winter and are less than £50

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 21:08:43 »
Quote from: "Sven"
Yeah, they're great for people with 3 fingers

Sorry but..........someone had to lol

I should have seen that coming!  lol

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 10:41:17 »
if you can wait a bit get yourself up to the bike show in the nec beginning of december and take a list of possible contenders with you, not as cheap as it used to be but still some bargains to be had, I got a pair of the older versions of these last year for about £80 I think it was http://www.alpinestars.com/Jet_Road_Gor ... 52208.html
bit over your budget but very good gloves, great comfort and warmth, fastening system works really well and totally waterproof, SgtSmash can vouch for some of the monsoon like weather we've been out with,

carry on like this I'm going to end up the official product reviewer on here lol ;)

anyway can highly recommend these gloves and in my experience you get what you pay for when it comes to bike kit, some people have massive expectations of the cheap gloves, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't but generally if you pay a little more and go for a well recognised brand you get something a little better. alternatively read the product reviews in ride magazine, they do all sorts of product tests and generally are spot on with them
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline DESERTRAIDER

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:34:25 »
iam sure hein gericke have glove sale on at the min with up 25% off , I've got a few pairs of gloves that I use most of the time ie bloody cold or wet I wear richa gloves their called carbon winter , they have never let me down and kept my hands dry and warm in some of the worst weather I've seen last year in europe , they cost me about £70 a few years back but found this link and their well cheap http://www.jtsmotorcycles.co.uk/accesso ... _richa.php
not cold once and this is me playing in the snow on my gs , that pic even made it in to mcn , they said I was a nutter

oh and I will ad the wee strom is the better bike

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 00:13:32 »
It was raining cats and dogs this morning, but I decided to make a trip to the nearest Hein Gericke. The -25% offer on gloves ended the 31st of October so I missed out on that. In the end I settled for a pair of HG PATHAN EVO 3-FINGERED GLOVES.

Here's a link if anyone is curious: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/6_144/products_id/3688

They're warm and comfy, much more than the ones I had, so I hope they'll do the trick when things gets cold. I also got a rain suit from them, my Akito two piece textiles take to long to dry out after they get some rain. I spent more money than I wanted to on the rain suit, but at least it should be something I can use for a long time.

If the gloves end up being utter crap I'll make a post here to warn others :-)

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:57:36 »
Those HG Pathan three fingered boys are supposed to be the Mutts nutts if you don't mind looking like Dr Zoidberg  :grin:

Make sure you keep them tucked INSIDE your sleeves to keep them waterproof

Happy Biking
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 08:49:10 »
When I was learning, my instructor had said those 3-fingered 'crab claw' gloves from HG were the best winter gloves he'd ever used
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 10:44:30 »
Drove to work with them this morning, my hands are still cold, but not as extreme as before. I don't think being '3 fingered' is working for me, it's a bit restrictive. Maybe I'll go swap them for the 5 fingered ones. Another thing is that they come off very easily, I'll check if it makes a difference to pull the Velcro straps a bit tighter.

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 11:20:08 »
I've had the 5 finger version for a couple of years now and find them very warm and pretty waterproof. Can be a bit bulky though.
Stu