Author Topic: Which rear brake disc for Vee?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
Which rear brake disc for Vee?
« on: April 19, 2017, 22:03:16 »
I'll be needing a new rear brake disc as mine is very worn.
Which brand gives best value for money? I don't want to go stupidly expensive but I was tempted by an EBC disc but I see Suzuki one's are a similar price.
I don't want to wait weeks and weeks for delivery either so anything from the Far East is off the list no matter how good they are now.

Ta muchley in advance.

Offline plumber02

• Bike: DL1000-K8 wr450f
Re: Which rear brake disc for Vee?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 16:58:36 »
if you run ebc hh pads go for the ebc disc , I did find that the suz one didn't really like hh pads :)

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 21:15:09 »
Thanks plumber02 - I fitted some Goldfren HH pads last year.

Got a bit of a problem though. On closer inspection of the disc it isn't that badly worn, it is worn but not excessively. My rear brake is absolutely crap though.
I've checked all the usual stuff.
Clean fluid. Nice 'solid' feel when I press on lever with my foot. Caliper piston moving freely. Caliper slider pin/bolt not seized. Generally everything looks OK. The brake works when bike is on centre stand and I spin the wheel with my hand but going up the road at walking pace the brake hardly slows me at all.
Are there any known issues with the caliper or the carrier?

Offline Sam

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:34 »
Goldfren pads are not the best, but they usually work OK - just wear out very quickly!

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13:58 »
I had exactly the same problem, until I broke the right footpeg bracket. When putting it all back together I could not get the brake lever back on the spindle of the bracket. I pushed, pulled even tried sanding the inside of the brake lever.
After a bit of a condor moment I tried a light smearing of grease in the hole, first go fitted straight in. The rear brake is now perfect.
My OH has a wee with a wooden feel to the back brake so I thought its worth a try, however, I didn't strip and re grease I sprayed the inside of the pivot with about half a can of WD, I couldn't believe the difference it made.
Worth a try I suppose.

Offline plumber02

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 20:20:20 »
you them goldfren things are only shite there's more stopping power in trumps mexican wall , only thing is though if you're after reddining that disc with those pads not even ebc hh's will make a difference , maybe the hose is pulsing ??

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 21:23:37 »
I'm going to strip the entire rear brake system and grease the pivot, new fluid and check the brake hose etc. I'm thinking the Goldfren pads are possibly rubbish (1st time I've bought them) and when the new EBC disc arrives + some Bendix pads (I've used them before on another bike and was impressed) I'll see what happens!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 15:54:27 »
+1 for the quality of Goldfren pads, I bought some in an emergency ( I couldn't have EBC delivered in time) as you say positive feel, but negligible retardation. To the point of scary, mine were on the front.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 22:05:39 »
Hmm, some not very good reports about these Goldfren pads. I'm beginning to wonder if two blocks of wood might perform better...

As I'm waiting for parts to arrive I'll just crack on with decorating the kitchen so that I can concentrate on the bike later without having to nip inside to paint something every 5 minutes.

C'mon mr postman  :fix:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 07:53:44 »
Pads from a company are designed to be used with their own disks.

Suzuki disks and pads will last longer than Suzuki disks and EBC pads.
I found that Ebc hh sintered ate the disks fairly quickly.

My Honda rear pads lasted 20k, the ebc hh only did 9k to the metal.
Front Honda still going strong @ 30k.

Go for Suzuki disks and Suzuki pads. It's less trouble in the long run.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 20:25:37 »
Bendix pads are fairly easy on the discs and still work well. Was impressed with them on my FJR.

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:14 »
I've always found Bendix or sbs pads to be a good choice, also before fitting them, scrub the disc with a paste made up of Persil/Ariel/Daz type washing powder then once cleaned off spray and wipe over with a brake cleaning fluid, it'll remove the film of crap that's built up on the disc.

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 18:50:24 »
It was the pads!
New disc and pads arrived. Just out of interest I bunged the new Bendix pads in without doing anything else and went for a ride. The first dab of the brakes and I thought they were a little better, the second dab and I thought "Wow much better", third dab of the brakes and I locked the back wheel up! There is no way on earth I could have done that with those Goldfren pads.
So at the weekend I shall fit the EBC disc but I need to get some threadlock first...

Offline plumber02

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 18:56:31 »
out of intrest how much did you pay for the disc ,thanks

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 20:09:06 »
From the Bay of E.
EBC Rear disc £62.95
Bendix pads were £22.25
Both free P+P.

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 22:14:03 »
Getting the old disc off went better than expected. Lots of heat into the bolts, a bit of a heave on the allen keys and they soon cracked undone.
Slightly different story with the rear spindle though...
Why oh why do people neglect to coat the rear spindle with grease before they put them back in? I had a right game getting it out, at one point I nearly gave up as it was getting late.
New disc went in OK, a bit of thread-lock on the bolts and everything looks good to go for a test ride tomorrow morning  :happydance: