Author Topic: Exporting a Wee  (Read 2366 times)

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
Exporting a Wee
« on: October 18, 2016, 21:51:41 »
Hi all

Next year I'm moving out of the UK and probably back to the Netherlands. I haven't decided yet to sell or bring my wee with me, but I have some insurance-related questions that I hope some of you may know.
The actual export/import is pretty straightforward: fill out some forms a few weeks in advance related to the V5 and make an appointment in NL with the local DVLA to check if it's not stolen and paperwork is in order. The MOT is mutually recognised, so that is also easy.

My plan is to leave my house after the end of the tenancy agreement, drive around Scotland and catch the ferry from Newcastle, because obviously that's how you go to NL  :smirk:

Does anyone know if the insurance in the UK will provide cover during those few days that I don't have the house and I'm on my way to NL? I can only insure it over there as soon as I have a local plate, so I need to keep my cover.
Also, do you have a recommendation on how to insure it only for maximum 3 months and not be totally ripped off with cancellation fees?

Thanks!

Offline Rich:-)

Re: Exporting a Wee
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 22:12:52 »
Also, do you have a recommendation on how to insure it only for maximum 3 months and not be totally ripped off with cancellation fees?

I can help with this one. Tell the agent that you are likely to cancel your policy early, that way they can find you a policy that has a small cancellation fee.

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:38 »
Hi
If its the same as moving to France, ring your insurance company (most cover you for an amount of time abroad, up to 180 days) so it shouldn't be a problem. Apart from that the bike is pretty standard, I think it has a flat beam headlight so that won't be a problem, speedo etc can be changed at the press of a button.
You will probably need a Certificate of Conformity from Suzuki UK before they will issue you another one in the NL.
When I took my Bandit to France I needed to change the headlight assembly so one Certificate stated left and one stated right for the angle of the beam, apart from that they were identical, one from Suzuki UK and one from Suzuki France but I still had to pay for both(about £100 at the time). If your bike is fairly new you may be able to get the UK one FOC. Good luck :)

Offline pr

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:28 »
 Cheers for the input. My main worry is that insurance companies have a problem with the small technicality that for a few days while travelling to the other country I'm officially not living anywhere in the UK. I will ask my current insurance what they say about that

Offline V-Strom3

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 14:23:10 »
Get it in writing, even as an email just to be on the safe side.
Life is short - You have to enjoy it on a Wee-Strom!

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 19:20:19 »
Swap with the chap wanting to bring a German one over here!  lol

Offline pr

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 20:50:08 »
You mean a GS?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 21:40:22 »

Offline pr

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 10:10:43 »
Old thread, but might be useful to update this with how it went for future reading.

I managed to get it all sorted. I insured for the remaining 2 months with MCE. They gave me the best offer for a full year, which I paid upfront. Then I called them to cancel on the day I had it exported and all it took was 5 minutes on the phone. I had the balance returned to my debit card in a week or so. Everything went as expected.

I got the headlight unit changed and that was necessary, because during the vehicle approval check by the Dutch DVLA they did check the light pattern! Otherwise it might not have been allowed. Besides that, the check mainly consists of checking it's not stolen, because the model type is already approved in Europe. Interestingly enough, Netherlands doesn't have MOT for motorcycles  :shrug: I guess most sane people don't ride wrecks..

After the check and filing paperwork, I received my vehicle registration certificate in 8 days in the post and had my plate made. I didn't realise that only a few shops in the country are able to do this on the spot, so managed to have this done 5 minutes before closing time! I wanted to do a trip the next day to Berlin and otherwise I had to wait until after Easter. Luckily insurance here is super easy compared to UK. No hassle online cover and no insane quotes. They even accepted my UK NCB years.

So if anyone needs to go through this, it's quite easy to go through, just reserve enough time for it. My schedule was a bit tight.
So the Dutch Wee is ready for Eurotripping!