Author Topic: Chain Oiler  (Read 3279 times)

Offline pasher

• Bike: 2014 VStrom 1000
Chain Oiler
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:24:33 »
I have a Scott Oiler fitted and I do need to top it up now and then so presumably its working, and the feed nozzle is right on the chain next to the rear sprocket, but the chain never seems very 'wet'. If I leave the engine running for a few minutes there is evidence of a drop of oil forming on the nozzle.
Is this about right? To my mind, at the rate of one drop every few minutes, its not enough oil to be of any use!!
What a long, strange trip its been

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Chain Oiler
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:11:50 »
I think it's supposed to be a drop hitting the chain approx once a minute (slightly more if wet weather eg winter),  but I also use a paint brush to paint oil on to the chain every so often to keep it fully oiled.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:27 »
Scottoilers are supposed to deposit the oil onto the side of the sprocket. The oil is then carried centrifugaly to the chain. Only the rollers get wet with this type of system, seldom the link plates, unless too much oil is present. Then it ends up on your tyre, making left hand bends lots of fun...

LG G4...yeah!

Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 19:30:10 »
My reply on Oil/Lubrication board:

Chains don't need lots of lubrication, just enough.  If you get fling then it's too much IMHO and it doesn't have to be constantly applied. I had to find the right drip rate of course but I simply turn it on for a 15 or 20 minutes spell every few hundred kilometres. If I get a few dots of oil on the wheel then I know it's working. I've found this gives me a chain that looks almost dry on the outside plates but oily damp at the pins, rollers and touching surfaces of the inner and outer plates.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline pasher

• Bike: 2014 VStrom 1000
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 10:02:08 »
Thanks blokes - I'm now assured that it is working OK  :)
What a long, strange trip its been

Offline V-Strom3

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 10:09:54 »
Just had my MOT done and I asked the tester how my sprockets and chain were doing.

He said doesn't look like they have been on there that long (maybe a year or two) should last another year at least.

He then asked me what mileage they were changed at.

He was very surprised when I said never they are the original fitment so had done 26k.  On a K7 650.

All down to a scotoiler touring kit and spending the time to setup the oil drop time.

Mine is set to drop oil on the roller as it's attached to the frame just behind the front sprocket.

Life is short - You have to enjoy it on a Wee-Strom!

Offline JonJo

• Bike: DL650 AL4
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:28 »
@V-Strom3, That's a better set up than mine. It was on the bike when I bought - not sure what make it is. It drops oil onto the outer plate/roller at the point where the chain comes onto the rear sprocket. I noticed yesterday that the inside plates/rollers were dry and rusty in places so the oil obviously isn't flowing across to them. Need to do some faffing to get the set up more like yours.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Offline Dave L

• The older I get the faster I was......
  • Bike: DL650 AM3
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 13:00:29 »
V-Strom3,

I have been considering a Scott Oiler and your set up looks to be far better than that suggested by Scott Oiler. 

Offline boomer

• Bike: 2014 DL650A L4
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 17:47:12 »
I fitted a Scott oiler to my Ducati and to my 2014 Glee. Both were set to drop one drop per minute with the tube feeding on the rear sprocket. In 10k miles on the Ducati I didn't even need to adjust the chain, all the time it just showed a slight wet look. The Glee chain is looking the same after 2k miles. Personally I think the Scott is the business.
Be safe, keep it on the black stuff.