Author Topic: Clutch fluid low  (Read 988 times)

Offline L3nny

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
Clutch fluid low
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:04 »
Had the first ride of the year at the weekend. A quick 650 mile trip around Wales.

All was good until the last fuel stop, I pulled the clutch in to stop, and the bike kept moving. Checked the level, it was low, topped it up, all was good again.

Question is: Where did the fluid go? It's supposed to be an airtight system. Is it worth taking it to the dealer as my warranty only has a few months remaining.

Cheers

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
Re: Clutch fluid low
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:07 »

If there is no sign of a leak or fluid on the floor then get the dealer to check. Have a look around the master cylinder and slave cylinder and hose connections.

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
Re: Clutch fluid low
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 16:59:47 »
My '64 plate beast has been laid for winter up since the end of October (my F8Gs covers all riding duties throughout the salty months). I've checked this, lubed that and generally fettled it in the past few months, as is my way.

Yesterday, just before I stuck the battery back into the beast, I pulled the clutch in for some unknown reason, and was rewarded with a sort of "gurgling" noise from the slave cyclinder when I released the lever. The level in the resevoir was down slightly from where I set it last year when I changed the fluid, so being the curious type, I wipped the slave cyclinder off and lo, little droplets of clutch fluid dribbled out from underneath the rubber diaphram! The slave cyclinder, it seems, doesn't like to be left for a months not doing anything, and if left it lets a little fluid out in protest.
Cleaned everything up, pushed the piston back into the cyclinder body then watched it creep back out. Did this several times then re-assembled everything back together. On actioning the clutch lever, no "gurgling" noise = result.
To prove all was well, I installed the battery and fired the beast up for the 1st time in 3.5 months with the 1st press of the button. Pulled in the clutch lever and stomped 1st gear into engagement - the usual "clunk" occurred, to be followed by progressive drive as the clutch was released. All good then  :thumb:

Steve T

:)
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend