Author Topic: Veek OEM heated grips  (Read 4225 times)

ProfG

Veek OEM heated grips
« on: November 12, 2016, 18:33:50 »
OEM heated grips that came with my Veek seem to be crap to say the least. One thing I noticed is that on high revs they seem to warm up to a barely acceptable standard where I can feel some heat through the gloves but under normal conditions they don't seem to work that well (it could be my imagination). At times I get a bit of warmth coming through but at other times I feel nothing. At one stage after about 25 minutes of riding I took my gloves off and held the handles and barely felt any heat.

I have been thinking of changing them for after market ones and was wondering whether I need to do any modifications or whether just connecting them to the current wiring would do the job. I am not too sure how much current the oem ones draw and whether I should install new wiring and relay. To remove the original wiring would be an absolute pain and not something I want to get into.

I also wonder whether it could be faulty connections. The bike is well under 2 years old and I've had it for 7 months, 2 of which the bike was garaged while I was away gallivanting in foreign lands  :grin:

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Veek OEM heated grips
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 18:42:52 »
Can't help you with the oe grips,  I heard they were wick so got the oxfords on my Veek. Never have the grips any higher than the second setting, more than warm enough.  Wired direct to battery, they turn themselfs off after a few minutes if I forget, and I have!

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 19:35:50 »
Although I tend to forget to switch mine on when I do I find that they soon get too hot and have to turn then down a couple of notches.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline SimonS

• Bike: 1916 V-Strom 1000 Adventure L6 - 1978 Triumph T140D Bonneville
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 22:41:52 »
OEMs on me 2014 Veek and they work fine  :shrug:

ProfG

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:17:41 »
Yesterday on my trip to Edinburgh and back the grips just confirmed what I suspected. They seem to work fine when the revs are at a constant 4000 rpm and above and immediately die out once below this rpm. Also the heating is not spread all over the grip but confined to just 2 parallel bars (length wise). The left one heated better than the right grip.

I wonder whether it is an electrical fault.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:02:35 »
Suzuki heated grips have been reported as poorly performing and unreliable as well as pricey for the entire life of the product line. Most aftermarket grips work better and are less expensive.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

ProfG

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:23 »
Fair enough but why do they spring to life at 4000 rpm?

I am concerned that it could be an electrical  fault that would do the same if I replaced the grips with aftermarket ones as I really don't want to do any wiring. If I decide to buy after market ones, I'd prefer to connect them to the existing wiring assuming the drawn amps are similar

Offline greywolf

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 13:04:28 »
Coming to life around 4000rpm can be related to vibration as well as magneto output. Mounting a voltmeter or other voltage indicating device is a good idea to keep an eye on the health of your charging system. That is the best way to make sure yours is okay. Aftermarket grips can run off the same connector you are using on the bike now, but you'll need to attach the connector from your present grips to the new grips' wires.

However, the bike's connector may exert a small influence on the situation. It is not the best place to supply power to the grips as its wiring is small in diameter and it is fused for limited power. I like running grips to the battery through a relay wired to keep the grips off when the ignition is off. Some makes have controllers that turn off the power when the engine is off as they sense a drop in voltage. They have caused problems in the past but work pretty well now.

The products where I'm from are a bit different so I expect other UK members can post the solutions they have been happy with.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 21:08:06 »
Dr Bike heated grips are great. They cost me £35 from J&S and I'm told they are Oxford grips rebranded. Like GW,  mine run through a switched relay, e.g. Bigpie's relay. No real wiring, just thread the wire under the tank and done.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 22:52:58 »
Yep, (the rotary controller) DR Bike ones here, I must have fitted over a dozen sets this last few years. Great vfm.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 17:15:23 »
I have Suzuki grips on my Wee (bought secondhand of ebay) but they are actually the type fitted to the Glee onwards with the"smart" push button controller as opposed to the earlier rotary type and are described as 180 deg, only heating the lower part of the grip where your fingers are and yes as others have reported not a lot of heat.
I have put up with the lacklustre performance but a few weeks ago while doing some maintenance that gave me acccess to the grips wiring and connectors I decided to do a little investigating.
Each grip is 5 ohms resistance and they are wired in series so 10 ohms and lets say running at 14 volts that's 1.4 amps/19.6 watts, Oxford grips are about 50 watts. that's why in my case at least they seem so poor.
However for me I have found a solution and I say now I take no responsability for anybody attemting similar, I have "overclocked" the OE grips.
Having a rotary controller left over from a set of faulty Honda grips I stripped off a mates bike a few years back I decided to do a few tests with the grips reconfigured in parallel.
We are now looking at 2.5 ohms and with 14v that's 5.6 amps/78.4watts which I suspect would literaly be "meltdown" within a few minutes but with the measured output limited to 4a/10v (40w) which equates to about 75% output on the controller they have plenty of heat even through winter gloves and to date the grips have proved durable enough to handle the increased amps and heat.
What I have not got around to yet is trying them back on the original controller.
Where as the rotary controller is easily modified (small self tapper screw etc) to restrict how far it is turned the button controller presents a problem, first press full power, but if my ohms law is still correct a 1 ohm power resistor added to the circuit would get the target 4a/10v/40w at the grips with controller on full.
Somebody check my maths please  :fix:

ProfG

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 18:01:12 »
I have the same grips as yours. I'll have a look and see whether I could do the same or just change it for something better.

I wonder why Suzuki put this system that hardly heats up.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 17:17:03 »
I put Oxford Heated Premium Hot Grips the touring type, on my 650, when I put my race style gloves on, it's impossible to have them on maximum for too long, they are just too hot. Brilliant grips and I can highly recommend them.  :thumb: :thumb:
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/