Author Topic: Registering a Irish Wee in Scotland  (Read 1732 times)

Offline SantaClaw

Registering a Irish Wee in Scotland
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:50 »
Hello everybody  :)

I moved to Scotland last week now that I had a bit of time to settle things related to my place and getting the basics sorted its time to work on officially importing the 06 Wee.

Thing is I even after reading the gov.uk site I still have no clue what I need to do. So I was hoping the nice folks around here could help me out  :ty:

I should use the online Notification of Vehicle Arrivals thing within 14 days which won't really work since it will take longer then that to get the national insurance number. Is the do it in 14 days or be fined part actually enforced or is it more of a general guideline?

Next is vehicle approval. Next I need to get the European Certificate of Conformity. I guess I have to contact Suzuki directly and this is not something the nearest dealer might have laying around?

The main thing I have not been able to find a clear answer to was what to do with the speedo. It's an Irish bike so the lights and all are fine. But the speedo is in km/h. For registering I found people saying everything from you need to replace the back plate of the speedo, through just put a few mph stickers on it to its OK if you use a GPS or something that shows mph. Anyone for knows for sure what I need here?

I also guessing I have to get the MOT done at some stage here. Correct me if I am wrong it should be report the the bike being here, get the paperwork from revenue once all that is done and the bike is ready to get a UK number plate get MOT and then go wherever you go to get new plates?

Offline Offtheclockuk

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Re: Registering a Irish Wee in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:20:28 »
Did you bring the bike from northern or southern Ireland as this makes a difference, the government website list an online method to get a used vehicle import pack.

If the bike came from NI then it should be much easier as it's virtually uk regs anyway

Offline SantaClaw

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:13:34 »
Sorry should have mentioned it. Its from the Republic not the North.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:43:29 »
Below is the info for registering an imported bike.

You may need to provide proof that VAT & Duty is paid on the NOVA system.

REGISTRATION
1. You need to get the bike MOT’d.
2. You need to prove the year of manufacture in writing. Phone Suzuki UKs customer support on 0500 011959 (press opt 2 & opt 2 again) with the Model type, frame & engine Numbers, they will organise an application for a dating letter – there is a charge for this service.
3. You need to have valid insurance on the bike. You can insure it on the chassis number.

Offline cip2006is

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:29:59 »
I replaced the headlight on my for a uk one, and changed the faces of dials, stickers are not accepted. When you declare the bike to hmrc for registration, if it has more then 14 days in uk, say that you just decided to register the bike, when you bought it you didn't had that in mind.

Offline plumber02

• Bike: DL1000-K8 wr450f
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:24:32 »

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 00:29:35 »
would it not be easier to sell the bike here and buy another one over there?

Offline SantaClaw

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 21:33:00 »
It is finally done the Wee is now officially Scottish.  :)

Figured I give a few updates on my questions in case anyone else ever tries the same.

The online Notification of Vehicle Arrivals worked without any other information besides the bikes details.

The European Certificate of Conformity I had to request from Suzuki. If you sent their customer service a mail they will sent you a form to fill out and sent back. The whole thing took nearly 8 weeks and before Suzuki does anything you need to pay the 95 pound fee.

So best to get that one started way early.

As for the speedo the result was easier then thought. Nobody seemed to care and I got all paperwork done without doing anything to it.

AS for the MOT, its needed for the final step of sending in the paperwork to the DVLA.