Author Topic: Thank gawd for the TRE  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
Thank gawd for the TRE
« on: January 03, 2017, 19:14:02 »
I've just fitted a TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) to my Vee.
Wow, what a difference. The engine is so much smoother and it really does have more grunt in the lower rev range.
I know some of you will know all about the TRE device and this is nothing new but I've only been riding my Vee for a short while and I've got to say that I wasn't enjoying the snatchy throttle response during town riding, especially on wet roundabouts! So much so that a little voice in the back of my mind kept reminding me how smooth my old FJR was...
Well all that nonsense has now gone, the Vee is now running as it should do and not as Suzuki designed it. Such a pleasure to ride.

Now all I have to do is fit the speedo healer device as I have also discovered that the sprocket gearing has been changed and I'm travelling about 10mph faster than indicated.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: Thank gawd for the TRE
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 19:58:36 »
When I first got my 2014 DL1000 new, it had the same problem. I fitted the X-TRE and snatchy throttle was gone. Later came new ECU and everybody said it solved snatchy throttle. I didn't bother to remove the X-TRE as I didn't want to risk having snatchy throttle back so I couldn't say if new ECU solved the problem.
I don't know if this apply to your bike, but I remember that DL1000 first generation also had campaign for replacing the ECU at some point.
By the way, my bike has X-TRE and not the TRE just to preserve gear indicator on the dash.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
Re: Thank gawd for the TRE
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 19:19:33 »
I am going to miss the OD light on the speedo when I get into 6th gear but I'll just have to get used to it.