Author Topic: Recommended on-board Glee toolkit?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
Recommended on-board Glee toolkit?
« on: December 15, 2016, 21:39:37 »
Surprised not to be able to find any discussion of this here already? but a model-specific forum seems like a great place to ask what other owners find to be the most useful tools to carry around with them.  We're all likely to be susceptible to the same faults, our bikes will need the same tools to fix them, and (barring add-on luggage)  we all have the same limited space to keep them in.

Since I got my Glee in the summer - my first bike in a v-e-r-y long time, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't actually got round to putting together an on-board toolkit, which is something I need to rectify.

So what does everyone else stash under their seat?  I suppose the answer will vary depending on whether it's a day-ride from home, or a couple of weeks touring Europe (in which case, the bike will be carrying luggage so there's more capacity to out a bit more kit in.

Would be great to hear what others consider to be indispensable...
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Recommended on-board Glee toolkit?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 21:41:57 »
Never used the Wee on-board toolkit in 12 years.

I bought a pump and puncture repair kit to go with it, but haven't needed that either.

I think I've been lucky.

I do carry some cable ties and an old tea-towel in a tool tube just in case.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 22:48:53 »
Basically the same as Martin but I've had to use my puncture repair kit though  :bawl:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 07:50:34 »
"Stop and go" puncture kit with four compressed gas cylinders. A stripped down 12v pump. A battery for charging my phone and running the Sat Nav in bad weather. Hose seal tape. Gaffer tape. Tiewraps. Jump start battery for the bike. A little 9v pushbike alarm I can hide on the bike or in the tent. Spare glasses. Multi tool. Spare lamps. Spare phone charger cable. Tyre pressure gauge. That stupid socket to remove the front wheel. A biro. A lighter. Some "other" stuff I can't think of. And an oily rag....of course!  lol  because the bike lives on the road I tend to take it all out from under the seat when she's sat for a while in case the bike gets nicked. I really am a tight sod.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 07:58:19 »
My most used bits of my tool kit over the years have been:

Compact multimeter.
Puncture kit.

The stock kit plus the above plus maybe a decent set of pliers and extra. I really shoukd add something to remove the front wheel spindle too.

IMHO a multimeter is invaluable, normally for sorting out others' dodgy additional wiring.

Offline Phaedrus

• Bike: 2013 V-Strom 650
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:17:26 »
A toolkit won't do much good if one does not know how to use it.

So the first step is to get familiar at home with basic maintenance tasks such as oil and filter change, air filter cleaning, taking the wheels out to replace Tyres, fixing a flat, oiling the chain, changing a light bulb, adjusting the windscreen, etc. They are outlined in the bikes manual or a good maintenance book. Also, learn how to diagnose engine problems. Little use of having a voltmeter if you don't know how to use it or what to look for.   :fix:

Only carry tools that you know how to use it. If you don't care about this, just keep a charged mobile with you at all times.  :sunny:

Some see these activities as chores, others like me, as part of biking and the pleasure derived from solving a problem.

I travel a lot and most of the time alone or with my wife in a "one bike combo", so self-reliance is a must. I have accumulated a set of portable tools to get me out of trouble. One may start with a bike specific set such as the one from Cruztools, but you can assemble your own set one at a time. Don't rely on the tool kit that comes from with the bike. They are garbage. I only use the spark plug socket. I added a tyre repair kit including a bead breaking tool, a clutch cable repair set, a portable voltmeter, a 2 feet hose to siphon fuel, and lately added a small battery booster in case the stator quits - an unfortunate issue on an otherwise great bike. I bundle the tools in the small bags given on intercontinental flights secured with rubber bands cut from a discarded inner tube as you want to avoid any rattle. They all fit under the seat, including a small (150cc) bottle of oil to lube the chain, a small bag with assorted bolts, nuts and washers, disposable black gloves and a tea cloth.

Having said all of that, I still have an European wide recovery policy with AA. Some problems are beyond repair at the side of the road on a rainy night.  :angry-banghead:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 10:56:38 »
Major repairs ... hmmmm  phone for rescue.  :old:
Day to day riding ....
I take the sort of tools I'll need to fix the stuff I've added like DRLs satnav brackets etc

Yes - a tool to remove the front wheel. Probably not in the OE kit because with only a side stand as standard the front wheel is not coming off without heavy duty assistance.
Although I carry a front spindle tool I am sure there is no way of removing the rear wheel with the OE tools unless you are a really and I mean really strong person.
Yes - STOP & GO puncture repair kit with gas cylinders (do not hold in your hand whilst using as I believe they get VERY cold as they discharge. So gloves, a rag or, as I have, a little gun thing that holds the cylinder.
Yes - A 12v pump if you have space ... saw a nice small one in Home Bargains this week.
Yes - screwdrivers, Alan keys and various sizes from a set of spanners that have a 'known use' on the bike ( don't always need a full set)
Yes - Tape, spare fuses, aux supply ( car type cigar lighter) wired or crocodile clipped to battery for Phone and camera charging.

You can't take everything  :shrug: and sod's law dictates that whatever you don't carry you will one day need :icon_exclaim:.  So I just try to carry the stuff  with which I can fix  :fix: the sort of things that I'd be mightily embarrassed  :shy: about if I had to be rescued while out on a V-Strom ride out.

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:05:21 »
I carry just about anything that would get me out of trouble at the side of the road , I even carry a small multi meter and an electric 12v mini pump. The usual essentials items like cable ties , tape , torch and puncture repair kit are a must but to back all that up last but not least is decent breakdown recovery.
It's ironic as I carry all this on my touring bike yet on my commuter I carry nothing..  :crazy:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 01:01:18 »
Breakdown insurance (Europe), puncture repair kit (punctures not covered) tape & cable ties for loose bits and a credit card for B&B if necessary! 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 07:41:06 »
I just ride out with other VStrom members...they have all the gear and know how to use the tools too  :fix:

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 08:13:29 »
Spare spokes eh Josh? lol lol lol
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 09:22:04 »
Spare spokes eh Josh? lol lol lol
And a tool tube packed to the brim with fesh air.