Author Topic: Engine oil pressure!!  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Jinja ninja

• Bike: Dl 650 v-strom
Engine oil pressure!!
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:59:34 »
Hi everyone got a problem with the bike. Oil is finding its way out of engine through the left hand side engine mounting. I use it daily to get to work about 20 miles a day

Offline greywolf

Re: Engine oil pressure!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 15:57:49 »
Do you mean the large mounting bolt between the cylinders at the base of the V shaped frame hanger? That's a very rare problem that is very difficult to fix. The heavy black lines in the picture are the seal lines on the crankcase halves. The red dot is the hole in the case where the large mounting bolt penetrates. Oil has to migrate from a leak in the the cases up to the bolt and along the bolt to be seen. It normally is seen on the left side because the bike on the stand leans that way. There is probably oil coming out at the top of the engine too. If you seal the bolt to the left side of the case on that side, it will be dammed up but exit at the top of the engine or be forced uphill out the right side. The cases have to be split and resealed or both sides of the bolt plus the engine case halves all along the top sealed to effectively stop such a leak. It is a very slow leak as there isn't a lot of pressure so some people just elect to clean the bike more often.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Jinja ninja

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 17:14:11 »
That's the very spot that the oil is coming out of.  A friend has been round and we undone the oil filler cap and oil sprayed out as if it were under pressure.   Could this be a blockage in the oil system itself causing it to build up pressure.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 17:40:39 »
Did you take the filler cap off while the bike was running ? If you did oil will spray out , this is caused by the spinning clutch basket .
Have you checked both of your cam cover gaskets?
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Jinja ninja

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 17:52:29 »
The engine was running at the time. Oops. All the gaskets around the engine what I can see are fine with no leaks .

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 20:45:39 »
Motorcyle engines are equipped with what's known as a crank case breather which is normally directed to the airbox to relieve pressure.
If your engine is suffering from high pressure which I doubt the first place to leak will be the weakest point which is the cam cover gaskets not the crank cases.
Greywolf is correct that the possibility of your crank cases leaking at the location you describe is very rare although not unheard of. However it's more likely that one of your cam cover gaskets may be leaking oil(not caused by pressure but age) from above down onto the engine mount bolt . To properly check you may be able to shine a torch up to that area or take your tank off for a better view.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline greywolf

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 22:17:21 »
Do check to make sure the valve covers or crankcase breather tubes are not leaking. The first step of checking for an oil leak is to clean everything thoroughly and see where oil first appears. It is possible to add a fluorescent dye to the oil which shows up under ultraviolet light to better see where the leak originates. Besides the magneto rotor spinning and flinging, there is a segment in each rotation where both pistons are going down at the same time which will add pressure that is not fully mitigated by the crankcase breather tubes.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s