Author Topic: Clutch Release cyclinder movement  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Paul8

• Bike: DL 1000 K7 GT
Clutch Release cyclinder movement
« on: September 09, 2016, 16:37:41 »
Hi all, some advice if possible please. My 08 K7 DL1000 bike went into the Superbike Factory for replacement "Generator" left hand side of engine, about 4 to 6 weeks ago. Anyhow I noticed yesterday 8/9/16 that the clutch release cylinder noticeably moves when the clutch leaver is pulled in? One of the bolts (bottom one) appeared not to be fully home. I was able to tighten it up and draw it home to the engine case, but the clutch lever became solid and I was not able to operate it. I had to release / loosen the bolt in order to operate the clutch. Any thoughts or guidance please.
 :bow-blue:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Clutch Release cyclinder movement
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 17:39:32 »
When your stator was replaced everything has to be removed that side of the engine so I take it your clutch was working fine after your stator was fitted ?
I'd remove the slave cylinder to see if it's working correctly, it's basically a piston that moves in and out when you use the clutch lever but be carefull not to pump the piston all the way out . Once part way out you should be able to push it back in with your hand , hold it in then pull the lever to feel if you have preasure. While it's out check the clutch push rod to see if it's not clogged with chain lube mixed with dirt.
It maybe that the bolt was left loose and the slave cylinder has become unseated and when you have tightened the bolt it's trapped the piston somehow .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 21:09:56 »
Yep, I'd go with kwackboy's suggestion. Undo the clutch slave unit and push piston back in, then reassemble. Pump the clutch lever a few times until normal pressure is felt.
If you can't push the piston back in - it might have come out on one side and be sat at an angle - they can be tricky to get back in. It needs to sit exactly to the body of the slave unit or it won't go in.

Offline Paul8

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 20:18:23 »
Thanks Kwackboy and Hugh for your helpful comments, I will have a go Sunday morning weather permitting.  :thumb:

Offline Paul8

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 19:16:24 »
Kwackboy and Hugh, thanks, I had the clutch master  cyclinder removed today and it appeared that the locating point bottom left was not sitting right, my brother cleaned all the oil and muck from the rod and reassembled it all. All good now and working fine. Once again thanks for the advice.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 19:20:18 »
 :thumb:. Glad you got it sorted ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 22:05:27 »
Yay. Result  :thumb: