Author Topic: Tank Bag Info.  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Tank Bag Info.
« on: December 29, 2022, 14:52:56 »
Please.
I'm looking for a tank bag around 10 litres, I've carried out my due diligence and I'm coming down on the side of the Kappa AH213 with the BF01K tank ring. It's got a clear pocket on top ( I do like a map) and is 9 litres.
I can't see anything else out there at that sort of money and size, but I would like your observations please, good or bad and alternatives at around £100.00 all in.
I've never used a tank ring before but this seems to get good reviews and the tank bag is angled down at the rear slightly for the tank shape.
TIA.
Upt'North.

Offline Mtv

• Bike: DL1000A
Re: Tank Bag Info.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 00:37:00 »
Hiya! just dropping a message here for follow, I am also looking for some extra "luggage" around the same price :)

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 02:41:43 »
I went for this as my bike came with a Givi flange. A fantastic bag for the cost. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165629995534

Offline Upt North

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 09:13:15 »
Thanks Rus, I read somewhere that the Givi bags had an issue with not sitting in line with the bike. I take it your Givi is just fine and dandy.
I would think the Givi and Kappa have the same flange anyway?
Thanks for the info.
Upt'North.

Offline chrisj

• Bike: None
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 10:40:25 »
I was looking at that Kappa tank bag too. So I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do get it.

Offline Cadbal

• Bike: DL1000
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 15:09:50 »
I'd side with Rus here, I've just picked up one from sportsbikeshop, think it was about £90, the flange was maybe £15 or so. It seems to sit on the tank straight enough, I'll grab a few pics of it on there if you'd rather see it.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 15:57:53 »
I had a Givi xs308 and bf01 flange on the glee. It sat perfectly straight, and was enormous when extended. My only caveat would be that if you have up&back risers the extra pockets on the removable belt would hit the bars on full lock. And sound the horn, which was quite surprising the first time it happened.

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 03:00:29 »
Mine sits in line just fine and holds everything I need for a weekend away, for a long trip I use this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144716335772

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 05:39:12 »
@ Upt North, Care to explain a bit more wrt your post / comment "Givi bags had an issue with not sitting in line with the bike"?
Is this wrt the physical positioning of the ring mount top section of where it is fitted to the tank bag or by how much the tank bag base floats above the fuel tank?

For the record I' have an old plus a newer version of the SW Motech EVO City Bag that clips on via a tank ring.  Because of the silght difference in the mounting ring base, in that the one base is powered and the older fitting is not powered, I had to modiify the older tank bag upper ring to allow mounting on the newer tank mount power cable.  Now both tank bags will work on either of the bikes.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 10:21:28 »
Yes Gert, I read, it might have been a review on SportsBikeShop, that the Givi tank bag when viewed from the riders seat on a 2017+ 650 was not in line with the bike. It was slightly to one side. Obviously it could have been fitted by a muppet and it's the only negative comment I read about the Givi ring which I'm pretty sure will be the Kappa ring anyway.
Thanks for your info.
Upt'North.

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 18:37:28 »
This thread prompted me to take a look at my tankbag which I have had a few years and would find it difficult to replace with anything better. It's a Givi XS306 XStream 25 ltr. I've never needed to expand it (a zip allows an extra 50mm/2 inch of height) It's a great bit of kit and has the added bonus of keeping rain or a cold draught from reaching your lower abdomen area and makes finding the equipment easier when needing a toilet break in very cold conditions  :icon_wink:

Anyway glad I had a look as I've just noticed it can be adjusted for and aft on its tanklock mounting, something I hadn't noticed before.

Offline Dicky

• Bike: DL650 K4
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 11:43:14 »
Thanks for adding that Skiddy. I've just inadvertently ordered the XS306 thinking that I'd gone for the smaller 15L version. I'm relieved to find that you like it. Which model is your V-Strom by the way? Mine is a 2005 DL650. Oops, just noticed that you have a DL1000! :grin:

Cheers,

Dicky.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 12:30:43 »
Good info Skiddy.
Upt'North.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 23:08:53 »
Thanks for your help boys.
Ordered the Kappa and ring today.
If anyone else is in the same position, the prices on SportsBikeShop are very competitive.
Upt'North.

Offline Uchujin

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 16:46:14 »
I got a virtually new Kappa RA308R Tanklock Bag 14-18L on ebay for £35
(even came with a ducatti tank rink which I promptly sold for £10)

Love it. Big enough to be useful, sturdy, locking mechanism very secure.
Much better than the Oxford magnetic one I used to have.

Pays to scour ebay every now and then if you aren't in a rush.....

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 16:11:13 »
I bought an Oxford M30R tank bag earlier in the year. When I tried it at the shop it seemed great, and they always do when you’re sat on the bike in a car park, but in practise it’s not so good and I’ll be getting rid of it.

It’s a great bag size-wise, and with all the pockets and the hole for my USB cable to go through it’s really practical, but because it’s magnetic and because of plastic on much of the tank - staying on isn’t that good.

I find that the magnets tend to loose adhesion sometimes if I go over 80 and I end up with my tank bag hovering in the vortex, which can be a bit of a surprise. Thankfully the front strap stops me from loosing it altogether while I try to slow down and get the damn thing re-magnetised to the tank. I even used araldite to stick some washers underneath the aluminium ‘eyebrows’ but that didn’t make any difference so it’s going.

It’s a shame because I like everything else about the bag. My next one will be a quick connect bag or one with straps or a harness.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 09:06:50 »
Have you considered buying webbing and plastic clips and sew these to the bag to fix it in place. Remove the magnets and sew through the now empty pockets to preserve integrity of the main body of the bag.     Webbing and clips of various sizes are fairly cheap on Ebay.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 16:28:42 »
For some reason I cannot upload photos, don't know if its cos I'm phic or my machine is rubbish.
Anyway I've uploaded these to a hosting site if yhats allowed.
This the option I went with, a harness which I've attached with some dog clips, which attach to the fairing mounts in front of the tank
Cost about a fiver for the dog clips and length of webbing....and some simple sewing skills.

https://ibb.co/album/TBbrpQ