Author Topic: Stiffer rear spring needed for pillion passenger?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
  • Bike: DL650 - AL3 (Blue)
Stiffer rear spring needed for pillion passenger?
« on: August 16, 2016, 23:18:36 »
Ello' Chaps.

So I've recently gone to taking my girlfriend out on rides with me (So far so good). However. I've noticed there is quite a lot of sag in the rear suspension which is causing the bike to be a little.. Scary? I've maxed out the preload and it did make a slight difference but not enough to satisfy me, or more importantly the passenger..

So any advice as to how I can go about dealing with the sag would be appreciated. And ideally without spending a fortune for the privilege would be nice.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Stiffer rear spring needed for pillion passenger?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:53:07 »
I'm sure you can get an aftermarket spring, wait for more informative posts though mate, I'm not that familiar with your bike.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Stiffer rear spring needed for pillion passenger?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:03:18 »
You can get a replacement spring from a few manufacturers. I got mine from Hyperpro. Made a world of difference 2up and more stable solo.
Cost me around £80 a few years back. I'd advise you get it fitted by a garage as the tools I had to buy were fairly expensive and if it went wrong the preload ring could have taken my head off or slightly less bad... Gone through the shed roof.

The shock if fairly easy to take off yourself and take it to the shop to fit the spring. I also advise you grease all the linkage bearings while you have them assessable.

No bodywork needed to be removed to get to the shock but you will will require a centre stand and something to wedge under the rear wheel to keep the linkage lined up. A bottle jack on the swingarm worked for me as I could use it to adjust the height.

Ride Coordinator