Author Topic: Dealer or independent for a front end?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline jdcook

Dealer or independent for a front end?
« on: August 12, 2016, 13:08:51 »
Somehow (probably bumping it on an iron railing while parking up but not sure) the front mudguard of my 650XT cracked badly :groan: and the handlebars twisted off centre. Presumably in addition to the repair I need to get the front end checked generally. Is there any reason *not* to do this at a well-regarded independent as opposed to my dealer who is quite good but booked solid? :ty:

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Re: Dealer or independent for a front end?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 13:21:59 »
Just trying to think why handlebars would be off centre !!!!!
They are attached to top yoke by brackets, so there must be something odd with the yoke, just catching them would not cause them to go off centre.
Are you sure it has not been knocked over by a car, and then stood up gain ? Perhaps the bars are bent would be my guess.

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 13:24:44 »
Loosen the headstock/fork clamp pinch bolts and you'll probably find it will straighten itself, if not then put the wheel between your legs and straighten the bars yourself, then retighten the bolts.
If they moved that easily while parking it's possible the bolts aren't that tight now.
Assuming that your forks aren't bent to begin with of course....
Simples.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 13:36:17 »
Ali is on the money with the forks, most likely just twisted in the yolks.

I would spin the front wheel in the air and check for true, put a tell tale on a fork leg to be accurate, checking for run out, then a  visual for any dinky,  good to go.

Mudguard..did again, unless it's an insurance claim.

Offline jdcook

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 13:41:13 »
Thanks for all this everybody. Definitely not an insurance claim. Am I correct in thinking that there's no way to replace the mudguard without removing the wheel?

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 13:50:12 »
You are unlikely to have inadvertently done this. Loosen just the bottom yoke clamps, pump the forks up and down a few times then re-tighten them. If you still have misalignment do as mentioned above with the front wheel between your legs. If things are still wrong take it to a mechanic. My preference is always a good known independent rather than a franchised dealer. They are usually considerably cheaper and, in my experience, more thorough.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 13:52:33 »
My Glee mudguard came out fine without taking wheel out, but beware the shite bolts that are covered elsewhere in other threads

Offline jdcook

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 12:58:25 »
So that seemed to go OK. Feels good. And thank goodness for that other thread about the "shite bolts"! Thanks again everybody.