Author Topic: What next after screen adjusted on Wee  (Read 2634 times)

Offline JohnB

• Bike: Kawasaki KE125 (1980) project
What next after screen adjusted on Wee
« on: July 31, 2016, 20:50:44 »
Hi all

As recommended I have adjusted the bottom of my standard screen out by about 9/10mm.
What a difference,I couldn't believe the positive effect.Thanks to who ever worked that mod out.
The buffeting reduced by about 75%.
I was wondering what is the next move, do I put on mirror extenders or change the actual mirrors?
The mirror extenders look as if they may interfere with bits on the handle bars?
Any suggestions welcome.

Offline Yoyo

Re: What next after screen adjusted on Wee
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 20:58:53 »
Mirror extenders are fine and don't cause any issues, they are fit and forget, even if they don't help with buffeting they improve the rear view a huge amount, for the sake of £10 I'd give them a go, you could also try Touno mirrors with eBay copies being around £20. The simple trick to see if mirrors are an issue is to remove the stock ones and go for a spin and see what the effect is  :thumb:

Offline JohnB

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 21:10:41 »
Thanks YOYO

The rear view for me is fine so if the extenders do not help with buffeting I will not bother with them Ta.
I may take the mirrors off and see if they are the cause of the remaining buffeting.
I am also in Swansea(just noticed your location)

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 21:15:05 »
Sound, hadn't noticed the South Wales part! I live in Birchgrove, have sold my Vee and now have a Super Ten in grey, still like to hang around here as it's a cracking forum!

I tried tilting the screen but it didn't do enough for me, I then added an MRA touring screen which helped a lot but still not great, I added Touno mirrors next but it was the extenders that finally fixed it for me but everyone is different!

Good luck!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 21:46:14 »
Extenders helped with the buffeting, but my wide shoulders got in the rear view mirror, so two birds with one stone for me. I also got ride of the fugly Suzuki mirrors with the cheap copies of the Apprilia mirrors.
The thing that really helped was a madstad screen mount for my k6 wee.

I went for a Palmer screen mount for my Varadero as Madstad have increased the prices and the Palmer is significantly cheaper and UK made rather than USA for the Madstad.
Both screen mounts have virtually eliminated the buffeting on both bikes and I can adjust screen height and tilt with ease and without any tools.

Another South Wales local here too, living in Port Toilet, working up the road from Yoyo in Llansamlet.

Ride Coordinator

Offline JohnB

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:13:26 »
Hi Mr Diver

Thanks for the info. Seems like it will be worth a try for the mirror extenders.

Are there any more DL owners in Swansea area?

I am in Gorseinon

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 18:22:48 »
There are a few.
Milz and Son of Milz live in Swansea, a bloke who works with the traitor Yoyo has a late model Wee and there are 3 stroms that regularly pass me on the M4 when I'm heading to work.
One of the mechanics in Thunderroad Bridgend has had a few stroms and live somewhere around her.
That's the ones I know of atm. There are a few more that have sold them and don't come on here anymore.

Ride Coordinator

Offline ccurts

• Bike: GSF650 K8
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 20:18:01 »
Thanks YOYO

The rear view for me is fine so if the extenders do not help with buffeting I will not bother with them Ta.
I may take the mirrors off and see if they are the cause of the remaining buffeting.
I am also in Swansea(just noticed your location)
Sorry to drag a bit off topic. I test drove a DL650 today at the Suzuki cafe tour in Llandow and the buffeting started to annoy at 40mph, and by 70 is was like having a monkey dancing on your head. Was keen on getting a nearly-new DL but also considering a XJ6 Divvy (cheap!). I see from your signature you have both? Have you ever done a comparison? I really liked the Wee but I'm not sure I could get past that buffetting.
Whatever you do, Do NOT read this bit

Offline JohnB

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 20:39:55 »
Hi ccurts

The XJ6 is an excellent bike and with the touring screen I find it a great all rounder. Less wind noise etc on the XJ6.

But having now ridden the DL650 I feel the XJ6 feels a small.bike.

The XJ handles better but is a proper road bike but the DL has a higher riding position which I prefer.

I am really torn between which is the better bike.

Offline ccurts

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 21:21:40 »
Thanks for that. I'm on a naked Bandit 650 at the moment, which is fine but I'e decided to commute all yr round so need some wind protection.

Also rode the new SV today which was a hoot. So much more potent than my bandit which apparently has 11hp more. I had an SV about 10yr ago and this one feels much more punchy. Suspension just as poor as ever though

Offline ccurts

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 21:31:30 »
If there was a sure fire fix for the buffeting I'd probably go for the wee, but after spending the last hour on here I'm not convinced it can be fixed for a 6'2" person and I'd be gutted if I didn't enjoy my biking

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 21:55:23 »
6"2.5 here.
On DL650 2012 I owned, after spending money on various screens and mirrors without success I bought Givi Airflow and fixed all of my buffeting problems at any speed, no matter which type of mirrors I used, with extenders or without. At September 2014 I traded DL650 for new DL1000 (new model). OEM screen was, again, terrible. Huge buffeting. Went straight to Givi Airflow, and again, all the buffeting disappeared. Perfect again!!
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline JohnB

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 22:00:24 »
6ft here.

I have been on a 150 mile ride today from South to mid Wales and back and found the DL was fine with the minor adjustment I made to the screen.

I would say that if I was to use the DL to commute I would change to full road tyres and not have the dual type as standard fitment.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 23:52:08 »
60k miles went on my k6 wee and I will say its a bike you can trudge to work on mon-fri without any drama or let downs and rag it at weekends.

Screens are a very personal thing. Many have been so annoyed with buffeting that they've sold bikes after a few weeks and just adjusting the height up and down.
Personally I was looking to spend another £100 on a 3rd screen for my Varadero when I said sod it and bought an adjustable screen mount from Palmer Products (they make one for wee/vee, glee and the Veek) I had a madstad on the wee and that an the palmer sorted the buffeting for me with the stock screens. And I don't need any tools to adjust the screen now.

I'm 6ft and I don't like looking at all through screens so stock sizes are as tall as I'll go really.
Getting rid of the stupid Suzuki mirrors will also help airflow and you might be able to see what's behind you also. Replacing them with Aprillia or if you fancy some old school "sticks out like dog's bollocks" look Honda Varadero mirrors.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Andyonbass

• Bike: 2014 DL650
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 08:41:44 »
6ft2" here. Got a Givi Airflow and Tuono mirrors on extenders. Went from Swindon to Brands Hatch and back yesterday, all motorway sticking to around 75 - 80 indicated plus the odd blast to overtake or get out of the way of nutters and never needed the visor down at all.  Bugs splattered all over the front of the bike but none on my teeth and I was smiling all the way!

Offline ccurts

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 16:23:22 »
Have to say I just bought Auritech Earplugs. What a difference over disposables - incredibly more relaxing ride on the naked now