Author Topic: My DIY Screen  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Kebabmonster

• Bike: 2005 KLV1000
My DIY Screen
« on: July 08, 2016, 21:51:48 »
Been on the lookout for a clear screen since I got back from my Scotland trip with my son at the end of May. My KLV has a dark Moose Racing short screen on (I'm not a fan of tall screens, I'm from a sportsbike background  :stirpot: and the Moose Racing does what I want it to do: no buffetting), and I attached the SJ4000 to the front of it on the trip, but the camera vibrations were horrendous, a lot of it due to wind resistance. When I put the same camera on the tank of the Superduke, the vibrations are way less.

I figured mounting the camera just above the clocks would minimize the wind, but as the screen was black, it would be impossible to see anything that was recorded  :angry-banghead: So, after looking on here, and on ebay, I searched for a clear screen that I would mod if it wasn't a style I liked. My first idea was get a cheap original Suzuki screen and chop it to a similar shape that the Moose Racing is. However, I wasn't going to pay £40+ that they were wanting on ebay.

Then yesterday, I decided I'd have a go at the hideous touring screen that came with the bike that I'd ditched for the MR screen due to the buffetting it created giving me serious headaches. I had originally dismissed this screen with it being a light smoke not clear, but what the hell...

So, here's the awful one that was on when I first got the bike:

Here's the bike with the Moose Racing on. Looks odd, but does its job:

So, I removed the MR one, and fitted the tall one. Out with the masking tape, put about 5 2" strips across the middle front and back, and put the MR one over the top of it using the locating pins so it was in the same position. Out with the Sharpie, and drew round the MR onto the tape. The tall screen was about 10 mm wider both sides, but I just continued the lines downward until they dropped off the edges.

Removed both screens, then out with the hop up covered with a bit of old carpet to prevent scratching the screen, and the jigsaw with a metal cutting blade in. Getting my son to keep it in place, I set about the cutting. Bit nerve wracking at first, but I'm no jigsaw novice having been a joiner for almost 30 years, it was more in case it shattered. It cut no bother, and I did well following the line  :lala: Didn't take any pics of this part of the job I'm afraid.

As you'll know, jigsaws leave a rough cut edge. The metal cutting blade didn't rag the plastic on the upcut though, which I was very pleased about. So, out with some 100 grit paper wrapped round a block, and sanded all the saw cuts all the way round. Then went 240, then 400. I also took the sharp edge off both faces with the 400 when I was happy all the cut marks were gone (well almost all when I've looked closely  :smirk: )

I noticed the point on the left where the original shape of the screen meets the new cut was about 10 mm lower than the right. Out with the 100 again, and after a bit of sanding on the RHS, it now looks much better.

I'm really happy with the results, and you'd never know it had been jigsawed as I hope you can see from the side view pic. From start to finish it took less than 2 hours. Would have been quicker, but I'm recovering from a full week of gastroenteritis  :icon_no:

Any thoughts (good or bad) welcome. If you don't like it, don't be scared to say, short screens aren't for everyone, I'm just happy with my results  :lala:

And I even got the camera mounted. Never tried it yet though, the tyres are not road legal after the Scotland trip. There'll be a bit of wind coming from the gap to the underside of the screen but nothing like being stuck on the front. Screen looks darker here than it actually is cos the garage was a bit dark and I didn't have the light on.

Thanks for looking.

Andy

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: My DIY Screen
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 22:00:54 »
If it works for you  :thumb:  :thumb:  :clap:

Online Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 22:08:55 »
Nice job Andy  :)

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 22:16:41 »
Nice one start a template up so people can copy it????

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 23:05:56 »
Looks great! :thumb:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:04:27 »
+1 if it works for you then that's all that matters. It looks good too. Well done.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 15:21:05 »
As the others have said, top marks for doing such a neat job. I would be far too scared to butcher my screen like that.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Kebabmonster

• Bike: 2005 KLV1000
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 15:36:32 »
Cheers peeps.

Thought I was going to get loads of "Please write to Suzuki and apologise for what you have done to the looks of their bike" posts  lol  I think the DL1000 looks better with a taller screen, but it wasn't practical at all for me. After having a ZX6R as my first bike, I found it wierd looking through a screen rather than over it (Ninja's screen was solid black).

With ref to butchering the screen Martin, it really made no odds, cos that screen was never going back on the bike for as long I own it, so if I wrecked it, it was no loss, along with already having the dark MR one already on the bike.

If it's fine tomorrow (bit bleak here today), might have a short run to test the new camera position (tyres are touch and go for legality, so can't go far).

Cheers,

Andy