Author Topic: Noisy / jumpy chain on Glee  (Read 1043 times)

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
  • Bike: DL650 - AL3 (Blue)
Noisy / jumpy chain on Glee
« on: June 20, 2016, 23:08:53 »
So I went out for a ride today and I ended up doing a small portion of the ride without a helmet on and I heard a strange fast ticking / dragging sound coming from the chain.

I rode home threw the bike up on the center stand and I noticed when chain moves it's dragging a little along the bottom of the frame and it jumps occasionally I did find this video on youtube of another bike but the exact same movement that mine is doing:

I have no idea how long it's been doing this for as I've never heard the sound with a helmet on before, I believe the chain is pretty new so I'd be surprised if it's starting to wear out but what do I know. Anyone know what's going on? 

Offline greywolf

Re: Noisy / jumpy chain on Glee
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 23:25:58 »
Watching the chain run with the bike on the centre stand is an exercise in futility. Don't bother. A brand new chain and sprockets will do that because the rear wheel is not under load. Examine the chain when the the engine is not running. Look for kinked links and hooked sprocket teeth. Apply upward pressure in the middle of the chain run and turn the wheel by hand. See if there is much variation in chain tautness. A chain that is beginning to wear unevenly will be tightest when the most worn section is on the rear sprocket. Kinked links, missing or broken O-rings, red dust or markedly variable lower run tautness are reasons to replace the chain. Hooked sprockets also need to be replaced. A worn sprocket will wear out a new chain in a hurry and vice versa.

Check the owner's manual on how much slack should be available on the chain at its tightest point in the run. Adjust the chain so that it is never less than specified. A little more won't hurt anything but any less can cause damage, even to the bearings and seals in the engine.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
  • Bike: DL650 - AL3 (Blue)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 23:30:17 »
I did do that and in all honesty though I'm not the most skilled in these practices, everything seems fine. there's no damage to the sprockets, there is a slight yellowing of the chain but I'm pretty sure that due to the mud riding I was doing the other week. There are no kinks or dents in the chain itself, and it's evenly taught from what I can see.

I can't tell if there is something wrong, or it's a common noise I've just never heard because of the helmet...

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 00:16:32 »
Nothing seems to be wrong then.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s