Author Topic: Finally found the cause of the off  (Read 797 times)

Offline Grandawoo

Finally found the cause of the off
« on: June 17, 2016, 00:29:46 »
Hi all,
Following my very low speed off late last year and due to family commitments it has taken me this long to sort out. I believe that I have identified the cause of the crash. I was travelling at about 10mph when the front end suddenly tucked under and I went over on my left side.

I had only just bought the bike, 2010 650 wee, and had never been happy with the front brakes as they needed more pressure than my previous 900 triumph but I put that down to new bike syndrome. Anyway I decided to split the calipers for a general clean up and check up.

I found the pistons a absolute nightmare to get out but they were very clean?? Then I noticed that all four wiper seals (the ones nearest the discs) were twisted in their slots. Once I had removed them they were impossible to replace so I looked at them against the new ones and they were about 2-4mm bigger diameter!!!!

So to summarise, the twisted seals caused the pistons to resist initial movement enough to make them apply the brakes in a grabbing motion, annoying at normal speeds but downright dangerous at low speeds.

Don't ever believe a dealer who tells you that the bike has had a full service and check up, and lastly how could a bike pass an mot in the week before I bought it with brakes like that?

I know I should have taken it back or at least had it investigated but it was the end of season, I had bashed in my shoulder, personal times took over and as an engineer I should have listened to myself when I knew something wasn't right with the brake lever.

Sorry didn't mean to rant, just wanted to share and hopefully prevent anyone having the same problem