Author Topic: Engine Casing Paint - AL2  (Read 2164 times)

Offline trip67

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Engine Casing Paint - AL2
« on: February 24, 2016, 21:30:36 »
 :fix: Does anyone have any idea where I can buy the best matching/most suitable paint or spray to match the peeling paint on the engine casing on my '11 DL650 AL2?  Going round in circles trying to find the right stuff. Or is it a little more complicated than just spraying on top of the old?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Engine Casing Paint - AL2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 22:33:21 »
I spent a long time going through the paint chips at my local car paint suppliers and came up with Chrysler Pss-1 Silverstone Pearl Metallic as the closest. I used it to re-do the clutch cover on my old AL2 as I'd rubbed through a bit with my boot. Edge to edge next to the existing you couldn't tell it had been painted.

It is a base coat & lacquer job though.

As far as prep goes, the finish reflects the time you spend getting the substrate ready. Any loose paint has to go and then prime. Depending on pitting of the case, you're maybe looking at high build primer & flattening between coats.
As a rough & ready job, attack it with scotchbrite until it's smoothish looking & paint on that. You can often get away with very light coats of the base colour instead of primer.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
Re: Engine Casing Paint - AL2
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 17:26:46 »
RS Paints have an online shop where you are able to select your model and year and the paint codes/names are shown, they list Suzuki engine paint as silver grey matched circa £27 400ml aerosol delivered. I have ordered one as previous owner obviously used the bike a few times in winter as the only corrosion is flaking to a small area on the right hand side cover...I aim to mask and spray the outer area only. Loads of posts on here asking for the match and not many with the exact colour details. I want mine as close as I can get. I found touching in the flaking with Hammerite silver(recommended by some) was such a different colour it was laughable.