Author Topic: Knocking noise from front end  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Seigi

Knocking noise from front end
« on: March 10, 2014, 15:47:37 »
Went for a ride up kirkstone pass today, dropped the bike doing a u turn too sharp with a pillion but bike was seemingly fine (minus clutch electrical cable coming out), rode it back down kirkstone pass then decided to go onto that byway which leads to campsite I mentioned in another post, coming back off that is when I noticed the knocking.

Troubleshooting it on the way home I've gathered this - It's definitely not something stuck on tyre/wheel clicking off the mudguard, I triple checked the wheel. I can't see any stones inside the engine area/bellypan, it only happens when accelerating, decelerating/holding in clutch/neutral and I don't hear anything, I can't recreate the noise when the engine is turned off (it needs to be accelerating).

So I'm thinking it's something to do with acceleration but I don't really know what. Is it possible a rock has flung up and knocked something out? Or does anyone else have any other ideas? The noise is repetitive, like a rhythm, it's not just random and it doesn't increase in speed when I increase, it stays at the same interval

Thanks for any suggestions,
Seigi

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Knocking noise from front end
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 19:07:03 »
Hi seigi - sorry to hear about your off there. Some questions:
Did the engine cut out properly when it tipped over?
Did you go over on the left side? (presumably with clutch switch affected)

In your description, is it only when the engine is under load?

I know you think the sound is coming from the front, but have you checked the back end for owt wrong? Eg chain whacking on something? :shrug:  Sounds can be funny like that!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Seigi

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 19:56:32 »
Well, if I remember rightly, the engine cut out when we fell over (presumably when the clutch switch came out) and I remembered looking at the panel and it saying "CHEC" (for which I assume was for the clutch switch), and yeah we did fall into the left side.

I'm going to get it on a paddock stand tomorrow and give the chain a good checking over, and start it up to see if I can recreate the noise.

Yeah, I only hear the noise when under load - When decelerating/gliding I can't hear it at all (Pulling clutch in at 40mph to see if I could hear it and I couldn't, let clutch back out and accelerate and it came back), I also couldn't hear it when pushing and putting my ear towards the hole where the handlebars connect.

Thankfully the engine bars did their job and stopped the bike getting any cosmetic damage

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 20:17:48 »
These type of sounds can be a worry but often turn out to be something simple . From what you are describing the sound only appears under load which rules out some things but not others . Repetitive sounds are often drive chains , wheel and hub bearings and brake discs , I shouldn't think it's any engine issue so I would put it on its centre stand and take a closer look at the discs / brakes and chain ...
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 20:19:09 »
The strom has a tip-over sensor to save the engine when ...well..when it tips over and the oil moves from where it ought to be - so possibly that worked before the clutch cut-out did! At least somehing stopped it, which is good.

Just thinking about any external damage from a drop onto its left side which only seems to involve the engine under load, and the drivechain springs to mind - chainguard?

Is it possible that the sound was there before your off, but you were senstised to the sounds from the bike because of it falling?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Seigi

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 20:27:04 »
That was my initial though - Gassoon, that  falling had made me more alert to sounds as I was checking everything was alright but my girlfriend also noticed it and asked what it was so I think it wasn't there before. I'm going to give it a good look over tomorrow if I get the time, but as I said, I'll put it into gear on the stand, accelerate and see if I can locate exactly where it's coming from.

Thanks for the suggestions regardless, and if anyone else comes up with something in the meantime (especially if you've had it yourself) that would be most helpful!

Edit: I didn't realise they have a sort of tip-over sensor, I guess it makes sense. I remember thinking "I should have hit the red switch, that was the perfect moment to use it!" ;p

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 21:29:28 »
Could it be the speedo sensor on the front wheel ? either damaged or coincidentally telling you to grease it ? .... Mick
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650

Offline Seigi

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:48:51 »
I think it may be the chain. I've tightened it some but I noticed there was tight/loose spots in the chain, is there anyway to overcome this or is it just something to live with? Another thing I should mention is, when looking at the rear wheel the right hand side (as if facing forwards), the little plastic thing at the end of the axle where the tightening nut is was loose, not sure if this is an indicator of something? (Hopefully you know what I mean, I can't think of a word to describe)

I'm going to be riding to uni in about 20 mins so I'll know if it's gone or not then.

Offline Seigi

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 15:36:34 »
Well, the knocking noise seems to have stopped, but going 60mph and I seem to be having some wobble (And it can't be wind, 4mph winds). I had a look at the rear wheel when I got home and it 'seems' to be misaligned. The issue is, on one of the sides the lines have been scratched off. The thing which makes me believe it's misaligned is the space behind each axle nut doesn't match up.

Could it be possible that I've knocked the wheel out of alignment when I've dropped it?

Offline frez

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 15:45:30 »
Quite possibly. You can use a length of timber or even some string to check the wheel alignment. Youtube will be your friend in seeing how to do it. Don't use the marks on the swinging arm, they cannot be relied upon.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Seigi

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 16:02:33 »
Upon further inspection I can see the lines, just the black coating had been scratched off making them difficult to see, they're a whole line out of alignment. How unreliable are the marks?

Offline frez

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 16:08:05 »
Not very. They will be close though. A small difference makes a huge difference in wheel alignment, so a whole mark out is going to be way out on the alignment.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 19:08:35 »
My lines are are very accurate, but I it won't be the case on all bikes. On the DR-Z I use calipers to measure that the axle is aligned properly. You can do the same on the Strom if you want to be sure. I find that the axle can move a little bit when you tighten it so check after it's been torqued up too. Also, check that your chain adjuster bolts are snug after the axle is torqued. Make sure they are nipped up else they might rattle out.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline ptbodyguard

• Bike: Suzuki V-Strom DL650 K7
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 12:37:13 »
Hi blokes, I've got the same noise on the front end of my V-Strom 650. After a lot of investigation I've found it. If you grab your brake caliper and shake it sideways, you will hear the knocking noise. It's actually the brake pad hitting the disc.

The problems can be one if not various of them:

1-check your brake pads if worn replace
2-check that you haven't lost one of the springs from the pads.
3-check your dot 4 level.
4-check your calipers, if needed service them, sometimes the master cylinder gets stuck with dirt and doesn't keep pressure on the pads, resulting the pads to have a bit of play.

Hopefully this will sort the problem for you as well.

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 16:29:40 »
My two pennies worth.

It would suggest that as the chain had gone loose, that it has pulled the right hand side of the rear wheel forward. It could well be that who ever adjusted the chain last, did not nip up the adjusters, and they have rattled loose, allowing the wheel to move.
I would re adjust the chain from scratch, and then make sure the swing arm marks both sides are the same.
I cannot see any damage would have been done in the short time this has happened.

Good luck