Author Topic: Couple of transmission questions  (Read 1592 times)

Offline sjh

Couple of transmission questions
« on: April 24, 2015, 23:35:12 »
My gear position indicator is drunk.

It occasionally shows nothing when switching gears, sometimes skips a gear, once it showed a higher gear when changing down. If it shows nothing continuing to ride it sorts itself out after 100m or so, but it's bugging me.

Just wondered if this was a common problem, I'm going to chase the wires to inspect connectors tomorrow, and check my voltage readings are healthy. This has developed in the last few weeks, no changes to anything electrical in that time.

Unrelated - I hope due to its prior development - I've had for a long time a problem when switching down, whereby the next gear won't engage until I slightly release the clutch. Clutch cable adjustment is good, it seems to be happening more frequently & only change I can think is an oil change with a service ... not sure what else to make of that one yet. Would a heavier oil have such an effect? Dreading some part of the selection forks/cam is damaged as that sounds spendy.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
Re: Couple of transmission questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:05:37 »
Don't know much about the glee GPI, but the wee voltages are far from stable, though they can look it with a meter. The GPIS I have made have to do a few tricks to get a reliable reading. I can't see why the glee would be any different.

I don't really know much about the sensor either, other than it is a set of resistors and depending on which gear you are in a different one is used, along with one in the ECU to work as a voltage divider.

My only suggestion would be to check connectors are not corroded. You can see the GPI sensor coming out of the generator side of the engine casing.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:43:45 »
Mine sometimes jumps 1 - 3 then corrects to 2. Doesn't happen that often so I just ignore it when it does.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 18:57:30 »
Well, my intermittent issue above has become more common in the last two weeks. Last week it was just showing '3rd' when in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Cleared up after a few mins of riding going up and down the gears. Today it was going blank and staying blank for ages then selecting a random gear (think 3 again). This happened every time I changed gear until after about 5 mins of going through the gears again, before sortin itself out.

I'm suspecting corrosion and will look at the wires shortly. Is the generator side clutch or throttle  (assuming clutch given gear lever position but confirmation is always helpful :)  )

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 23:14:33 »
Rather than start a new topic...

I've decided I should look at this (never bothered before). 39, below, is the gear position sensor assembly. Does anyone know if removing it to check the wires for corrosion will cause oil to leak out?

:ty:

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 23:21:46 »
The point is moot. You have to take off the left engine cover and magneto rotor to access the GP switch. You would have drained the oil as the first step in the process.

Check for corrosion at the connector outside the engine first.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 23:45:39 »
 :ty:

(If that doesn't resolve it then I don't think I'm that fussed about having an accurate gear reading that I'll be taking the engine cover/magneto rotor off - it can wait until I need to go in there for something else)