Author Topic: New to Vstroms - buyers tips please  (Read 970 times)

Offline Johnny handfull

• Bike: vstrom 1000
New to Vstroms - buyers tips please
« on: March 22, 2016, 20:06:20 »
hi all

Never owned a DL1000 before and am looking at buying an 04-08 over the next week.  As far as things to look out for go (in addition to all the usual bits you would check on any bike), can anyone offer any tips or lessons learned from experience before I take the plunge?

I don't see any significant recalls
there doesn't seem to be any persistent issues that they all suffer from with age or just generally
I am aware of the buffeting issue and have plans regards a givi airflow screen (or similar solution) and tuono mirrors. I will probably lower the pegs. will be a GT model I buy with c.30k miles and fsh.  I will prob add some other bits as I go along as well all do - scottoiler (I commute on it), loud horn, exhausts + possible pc3 and remap for better fuel economy and smoothness through stationary traffic and using the exhausts noise to alert drivers to my presence and more comfortable seat if required.  better headlight bulbs too.

seems like a (good as can ever be) bullet proof purchase.  Will be buying from a main dealer with 3 months wrty and test ride so can use that to look out for anything you blokes look out for.

one question actually - I test rode one the other day - only observation in addition to the buffeting was the snatchy clutch when the bike was cold (only) - that normal?

any advice welcome. cheers  :thumb:

Offline plumber02

• Bike: DL1000-K8 wr450f
Re: New to Vstroms - buyers tips please
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 22:21:12 »
suspension like an aul maico 440- if you're over 12ish stone and like to drive hard you will have to sort it I'm still in the process ( costly ) , clutch basket problems - snatchy clutch could mean crappy oil or the start or that dual mass basket getting loose( not a big deal ), sprocket hub alignment probs( simple job ), wouldn't be bothered with a power commander just flash the box pull the sec butterfly valves and get a TRE obviously with a good( not cheap shite )set of cans , other than that there's nothing else out there that sounds like it , pulls from 30 - 90 mph like it , also this site is one of the most informative , friendly , and almost no bullsh%t  bike site out there I'm new to this forum type thing meself but just one thing I think they prefer that you introduce yourself first , but anyway - how's it going welcome and buy the bike you won't be let down