Author Topic: Timing Retard Eliminator  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Den53

• Bike: 2017 DL1000XT AL8, MZ ES250/2 Trophy 1972
Timing Retard Eliminator
« on: March 26, 2022, 19:34:53 »
Had my DL1000 X AL8 a few weeks now and I have mixed feelings. I mostly like the bike but I hate riding it in slow traffic or anywhere at sub 30 mph speeds. The on-off throttle jerkiness is shocking. I ride for pleasure only and it is no pleasure riding this at slow speeds especially on our terrible bumpy roads. I am finding I have to wedge my fingers onto the brake lever to try and prevent any slight throttle movement when I hit a bump. On two occasions I have had sudden engine braking and then an instant jerk forwards which was close to snatching the bars from my grip. It's not comfortable having to ride with a tight grip on the bars. I've never had any issues controlling any of the many bikes I have owned previously and been able able to relax and enjoy the ride at any speed. The engine braking is not an issue, it's the sudden snatch that can follow as the power comes back on. It's almost like flicking a switch.
I have fitted a Throttle Tamer which helps a little but not much. I tend to just slip the clutch a lot but that's not really how one should be riding is it. If I can't make it more manageable I'll be getting rid of it.
I have read of other riders with similar issues who have fitted a TRE device to smooth out this low speed throttle control. I have googled for them but the only ones I have found have "For race use only" written on the label. Are there other ones that are road legal or are these the ones that people have fitted.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Timing Retard Eliminator
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 21:10:05 »
Healtech sells TRE built in into gear indicator (I have one), I never heard that TRE is not road legal. I don't have problem riding slow as I got used to slip clutch, it is like second nature for me. I agree throttle is like ON OFF,  over responsive.

Offline Den53

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 15:52:34 »
For race use only printed on label.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 19:06:04 »
I cannot for the life of me think of a possible reason why a company would offer a "race use only" part for a VStrom. Have you tried the different "modes"? Some are softer and less abrupt than others.

Failing that try a TRE. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 19:52:53 »
My mate raced an sv650 in minitwins. TREs were banned.
"Race use only" looks like a marketing or arse-covering ploy.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 19:59:30 »
Might be worth checking if the TPS is set correctly first rather than going straight to mods?

They are inherently a little lumpy down low, but shouldn't be unrideable 👍
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 20:19:46 »
I have an X-tre exactly like that one in the picture on my 14 Veek. Been there from the bike was under a year old. Smooth's the bike out and does away with that fuel cut at low revs, wouldn't ride the thing without it. The race use only is just to cover them don't worry. It's a bit of a bugger to fit, not difficult but you do need to cut wires.
I also hear the Boosterplug works well on the 2017 on vstrom's.
Some folk like to fit a 16tooth or a 43tooth rear sprocket to lower the gearing a bit to but I like the more relaxed 70-80mph cruise of the standard gearing.

Offline pstm

• Bike: DL650 AM4, Aprilia Tuono 1000R.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 15:59:09 »
I've the same model (DL1000 X AL8) as the OP and found the lumpy on/off throttle a pain. I took nearly all the play out of the throttle at the grip which helped a little bit. Added the Healtech X-Tre which I have set to '6' as I think it's smoother on that one - I cunningly got round the 'race use only' bit but wrapping the unit in black insulating tape (as pictured)! One thing you maybe should try first though is to put a tankful of Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 (or similar) in. Swear mine runs much smoother using it, just saving up for another tankful now.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 16:14:00 »
Obviously, if you did want to go racing, you'd have to take the black tape off to achieve full speed.

Offline Den53

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 19:34:31 »
Might be worth checking if the TPS is set correctly first

It's rideable but takes so much effort and concentration to keep the revs right that all enjoyment is lost and I've always paid more attention to traffic and my surroundings than to actual bike control which has always come naturally to me. Tight corners and mini roundabouts are not nice to negotiate with this on/off throttle.
TPS checking is not so easy on this model as there is no "-" preceding the c00 on the dash. I believe you have to take voltage readings from the sensor.

Offline Den53

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 19:45:27 »
I've the same model (DL1000 X AL8) as the OP

I only ever use the E5 fuel. I did remove all play from the cable and also set drive chain on minimum play.
I've read that throttle body sync and TPS adjustment may improve it but I believe it needs to be hooked up to a computer to sort them out.
I might just bite the bullet and buy the Healtech X-Tre. Has this eliminated the problem on your bike? I've read that you have to cut a wire to fit it, is it in the battery area?
Taping it up is good idea, I might do that and try and hide somehow.

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 11:19:06 »
Excuse ignorance, but how has the DL650 got over this? Can't believe how smooth and non-jerky mine is (especially after the fly by wire Triumph Explorer - embarrassing to say the least!)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 22:10:20 »
The 650cc doesn't need to be setup anywhere near as lean as the earlier 1000cc bikes to pass emissions laws.
The later models are better, but not perfect.
That and the gerky nature of the 1000cc bike, people presume as they have the same name, style and engine description that the engines are the same but one is bigger.
In fact the V-Strom 1000cc and 650cc engines are quite different internally.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Den53

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 09:50:27 »
I've fitted the X-TRE and it has made a difference. The throttle does still seem to be a little on/off at slow speeds but the extreme jerkiness that I had experienced occasionally seems to have been tamed. I have deliberately closed throttle and opened it sharply to test the bikes reaction and it behaves similar to any other bike I have owned. So it's a keeper now.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 10:36:54 »
Try a G2 throttle tamer as well as this helps smooth out that initial  throttle opening. This and a x-tre is what I have on my 2014 1000. It goes fine now so I've done nothing else.
 The 650 needs none of these, the only one I've rode felt as smooth as silk after the 1000.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 14:33:01 »
@Mr_Diver - Was this roughly the model where the throttle linkage bar joints were going loose? That wouldn't help on/off throttle transition too ... 
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline hill100

• Bike: DL1050XT M0
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2022, 17:53:05 »
Before buying my 1050xt I had a test ride on a demo. the throttle response in the "A" mode at slow speed was on off, extremely jerky. this was solved by putting it into the "B" mode, when riding in slow traffic. A bit of a pain in the arse I thought, but I ordered one. My bike does not have this issue. It will ride smoothly in "A" mode without any snatchy throttle. I can ride in 3rd gear at 15mph. So my afterthoughts were; was the demo bike faulty? Was there a software update that my bike got? Or is it the luck of the draw. Are there other 1050 owners suffering from this ?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 18:16:44 »
Yes there were many throttle bodies replaced under warranty in the L4-17 models.

In fact my line manager in the dealer had a bike that started showing the signs and was advised to have them changed.

Ride Coordinator