Author Topic: Quoting and not just replying  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Quoting and not just replying
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 21:37:35 »
Which is a perfectly valid use of the function, particularly cropping the sentence you want to reply to.

Often I am deleting multiple quotes (with images) replying to the list above  :welcome2:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 22:22:55 »
Basically, if I quote it's because doing so makes a clearer point. We could shorten posts dramatically by using text abbreviations but that would not be good. If the text button is removed, that would be very inconvenient because the need to quote occasionally would be just the same. I would have to type in my own quotes. This forum has less quoting than others I frequent. Edit and quote options are tried and tested forum features. Please do not remove the facility Administration. Reducing quotes maybe but to lose the facility would definitely push us down the 'good forum' ranking. Currently we are probably one of the best. Quoting is one of the great joys of forum membership both to read and write. It would be a shame to let the tail wag the dog as regards smartphones. If you want to read a quote, zoom in - if not, skim. I don't have a Smartphone - I just hate what they have done for youth that never looks where it is going any more or mid life crisis male who texts whilst driving. On my Android tablet, at home I can read quotes easily. Spell check can go. Preview is of limited use. 'Insert quote' is the last vestige of civility in a debased world of concise text technology. I'll stay if it goes but won't have nearly as much fun!
 :dl_soapbox:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 22:39:52 »
The Smart Phone use is just one reason, personally I hate to see unneccesary quotes even when using a Desktop PC and large Monitor.

There are forums I refuse to read because of the endless quotes

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 22:55:48 »
Of course, some people quote responsibly. I try to isolate relevant bits as mentioned above. I agree that not erasing images is quite moronic. Alas, these days if it's not quick and easy, it's no good - shame!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 23:04:29 »
Every time I see somebody quote an entire post along with multiple pictures and then add something inane like "I agree" or "good post" at the bottom, I feel like banning the idiot.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Sea-Strom

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 23:50:28 »
Every time I see somebody quote an entire post along with multiple pictures and then add something inane like "I agree" or "good post" at the bottom, I feel like banning the idiot.
I agree  lol. (Witty use of quote facility?)

But seriously, it would be a shame to punish the  thoughtful majority for a few idiots. Administration has made the point and I'm sure forum members will take it on board - in fact they have done already from what I've seen. I don't think it will be necessary to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 00:07:28 »
I browse the forum pretty much solely on tapatalk via an android phone, while I don't quite understand why some have an issue with (excessive/unnecessary?) quotes, I can appreciate that if it is not appreciated therefore  try to keep it to a minimum.

On Tapatalk, it is easy to accidentally highlight posts as you scroll down a thread, if you reply, the highlighted posts are quoted in the reply.

Phil

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 16:35:56 »
OK, I think we have done this to death, it has been useful in flushing out how careful Tapatalk users have to be to ensure they are replying and not quoting.

For those of you who don't understand why it's an issue, instead of me repeating the same words, I'll just say that we don't ask for much here and by adhering to this simple request you will be saving those of us who work in the background to keep this place ship shape some hours of work.

Hopefully that's enough  :thumb: