Author Topic: Fuelling mods off ebay?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Offtheclockuk

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Fuelling mods off ebay?
« on: June 10, 2016, 17:22:14 »
The forum regulars must be getting fed up of me asking questions already buuuuut.....

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141463222324

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?
are they shit?
do they work to a degree?

I've set the tps and ordered a magic clutch basket already,
Plus I'll be building a diy manometer soon to check the tb sync.

So hopefully there won't be much more to do before my vstrom is the beautiful bike it should have been from the factory haha!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Fuelling mods off ebay?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 21:44:35 »
This has come up before.
See http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=29707.0
Don't know if anyone has tried one yet?

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 21:54:15 »
Not at all clumsy how they worked the words "power" and "commander" into the ad.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 07:08:40 »
As Hookie says it is a variable resistor in a fancy box. All it does is alter the signal from the air temp sensor to the ecu, the ecu sees a low temp and dumps more fuel, the O2 sensor then corrects any over fueling.

Save your Brass and lookout for a Power Commander 3. Install a choice of maps.

Warning this becomes addictive, very soon the choice of maps will not be enough, you will think there is more to be had. At this point you will start changing end cans and this opens up more maps. Then the induction system, more maps to try. Then the entire exhaust system will be changed with more maps to choose.

The next stage will be a custom map on a dyno. At this stage your hunger should be sated and it will for a while... Until you read more stuff and make another exhaust system and fit an ECU from a 130bhp TL 1000. This makes the 'bike unrideable and uses fuel at an astonishing rate. 18 mpg, black smoke and flames, but it has a mad powerband similar to a 2 stroke of 800 rpm that starts at 7200 rpm and finishers at 8k.

You take it for another dyno session, the same man who by now are on 1st name terms with shakes his head and says " It was spot on, what did you do"?

He sets it up again after removing the TL1000 ecu and you tell yourself it's great, you ride home telling yourself it's the best it's ever been. You smile inside your lid.

12 months later you read stuff about the benefits of a 2 into 1 system on a V twin. You remove the twin cans and fabricate a 2 into 1. It does "feel better". You are should be  content. You know the next dyno session is immanent, but you put off the inevitable.

For Now.

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Offtheclockuk

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:43:43 »
Scary how you described my car addiction almost perfectly!

One of the previous owners has fitted a k&n air filter and also seen fit to do a 2 into 1 exhaust system already so I have no idea what the bike was like as standard hahaha!

Offline Offtheclockuk

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:46:24 »
Not at all clumsy how they worked the words "power" and "commander" into the ad.
Yep, bare minimum to not step on any toes lol

Offline Offtheclockuk

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 07:47:35 »
This has come up before.
See http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=29707.0
Don't know if anyone has tried one yet?
I figured it might have but my search skills were somewhat lacking last night and I didn't see anything that ticked my boxes ????