Author Topic: Reminder, hi-viz vests.......  (Read 9084 times)

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
Re: Reminder, hi-viz vests.......
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18:59 »
I wear one on the V-Strom when visibility is poor. But I decide. Never wear one on the Intruder cos I'd look a nob! Shame about France - must want to deter tourists.....it works: I'd never ride there!
One size fits all doesn't always work, like the American filter! :stirpot:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 05:37:09 »
As Joe Rocket said, only need to wear it if broken down.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 07:57:33 »
I can't see French bikers taking any notice or the police putting themselves out to enforce this. Next thing everyone will be having to strap red triangles on their rear seats just in case of breakdown. If they really want to reduce road casualties they should properly enforce the drink driving laws and improve the general standard of French car drivers which in general is very bad.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 09:04:47 »
I couldn't have put it any better hookie.  :smirk:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline mr_robd_lon

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 21:58:46 »
As Joe Rocket said, only need to wear it if broken down.
My sister misunderstood this point when I was telling her about the rule,  prior to a holiday my wife and I took by car.

For two weeks my sister thought that the Mrs and I were driving around France wearing hello-viz in the car

With hi-viz wrapping on our baguettes strapped to the roof-rack.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 00:44:10 »
........only need to wear it if broken down.
Oh that's OK.....we stand at the side of the road so the gendarmes can drive past and laugh at the tourists in their yellow suit ready to walk 10 miles to the next village! Insisting we carry breakdown cover might be a more useful law. Mind you from what I remember about the standard of French driving, reflective waistcoats may help not getting flattened on the walk! Haven't driven in France since the 80's - perhaps it's safer now  :roll:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 19:30:57 »
It might be helpful to know that the French introduce Laws often in a knee jerk reaction without reflection of consequences in any way.

Law concerning hi-viz vests for car/lorry drivers were passed after a noticable increase of break-down personel and police were run over at the scene of an incident. It's worth noting that they rarely block the circulation on, say, an Autoroute but let the vehicles pass. That still hasn't changed much.

The need to carry breathalysers was supposedly limited to one in case the driver felt the need to test him/her self. The problem arose that a driver would need to carry TWO, assuming one was 'used' as you still have to have one at hand incase of a police check. The most silly aspect was that any breathalyser carried by the public had no standing as proof of drunk driving or not and the police would still use their own properly calibrated equipment anyway so the need to carry one one-used was simply unnecessary! In the end the companies who had set up to produce the gadgets, and they couldn't make enough quick enough, had no client base when the government froze the Law. It is still Law but is not pursued.

There was an ecology tax imposed on movement of heavy goods accross the country tracked by technical equipment mounted on gantries over the dual carriageways and Autoroutes. That met with destructive reaction by many, very much here in Brittany, with gantries being burnt and put out of use. The government backed down and pulled the plug but a whole industry was shelved leaving a void in lots of companies who had been set up to monitor and collect taxes from transport firms etc. let alone the money wasted on the gantries and on going maintenance.

Just some of the examples.  :shrug:

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 20:07:38 »
People power in action. Yay.

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 20:38:01 »
I read about this today on a news site and it was also said you had to have four reflective stickers on your crash helmet, front back and both sides, or you would get fined.
I've always been under the impression you shouldn't stick anything to the surface of a crash helmet as the shiny surface was designed to slide across the road surface and any additions could cause injury to your neck.
Also could the adhesive damage the shell material?
I was hoping to do some riding on the continent in the future so will have to research all the little rules as it all seems as much about raising revenue as safety.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 07:20:22 »
The French change the reflectives laws every other riot/revolution/strike. They never enforce the laws unless adding to a speeding charge. Just go, its France not North Korea.

The shiny helmet and stickers thing is pure salesman ******s, just trying to get you to buy the shiny Rossi race rep they've had in stock for years rather than the matt one they can't get hold of but you say you can buy online at half the price. In the 1960s when fibreglass was made of newspaper and egg white and stickers used phenol lead acetone mixed with snake venom there may have been a risk the morning after you applied the sticker your lid would have melted, but modern Elven Safety means the stickers might not stick but you could eat them and gain some fibre.

Helmet laws according to helmet manufacturers;
1. When your helmet is over 10 minutes old (out of the box, its OK to store them in the dealers for 75 years)  its protection is reduced. Buy a new one.
2 if you drop it or look funny at it the protection is reduced. Buy a new one.
3. The colour is a vitally important part of the protection. If it doesn't match current trends buy a new one.
4. Do not allow any detergent, washing fluid or rain water on your helmet, it degrades the material. If in doubt buy a new one.
5. Never attempt to repair a helmet. The visor screw coming out half a turn is a sign you should buy a new one.
6. Never modify a helmet unless fitting the visor insert, camera or intercom using the 3M sticky pads we will sell you. Other 3M sticky pads will destroy your lid.
7. The ACU and E stickers we fit are done in a factory in China by people we vaugely know. Other stickers made using the same glue may cause our profits to fall, so don't do it.

Andy

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 13:17:19 »
 lol lol
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 18:45:56 »
 lol :clap:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 20:21:38 »
I take my hat off to your sage observations. Or I would if I was wearing one...pesky snake venom desolved it.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 20:27:00 »
That was brilliant Andy M!  :thumb:

lol