Author Topic: Scorpion exhaust  (Read 4544 times)

Offline sbb

Scorpion exhaust
« on: March 11, 2014, 23:49:56 »
Has anyone got or seen the scorpian can on the 650 year 2013. Looking at all
The different cans. And not sure what one to go for.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: scorpian exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 17:45:35 »
Do Scorpion make something for the Glee?

If you haven't checked out GPR exhausts, have a look, a favourite for the Stroms and decently made at good fair prices.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline sbb

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 21:15:15 »
http://www.scorpionexhaust.co.uk/scorpi ... 2531-p.asp

here is the link. yes looked at the gpr. also need it to fit with a rack on the back and centre stand. I do like the gpr but also the scorpian. more research needed lol

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 22:05:59 »
I had a titanium end can on my old K5 Strom. It is well made and has stood up exceptionally well to serious abuse. It's done about 73k miles and it's held up through all kinds of riding, weather, salt and everything else you can throw at it. The only issue I had was that one exhaust lug cracked and I had to get it welded and reinforced. I'm replacing it with a GPR 3/4 length system. The GPR looks and feels better made. That's not to say Scorpion make bad exhaust, the quality of the work is very good. The GPR looks to have been designed well, the pipes being larger diametre and care taken with the lengths and bends. Even if I could get a 3/4 Scorpion system I'd still go for the GPR.

My opinion is that Scorpion copy OEM systems fairly closely, don't change much as far as pipe design goes (diametre and lengths) and then only add their own end can. I've also seen this with the DR-Z exhaust system they make. I was going to get a Scorpion system for the DR-Z, but soon realised is not that different from stock except for being made from better materials and having a more free flowing end can. In the case of the DR-Z it also looks like they made the pipe work and then stuck one of their stock size end cans on it. The result being that the can looks too long for a short bike like the DR-Z, it sticks out behind the bike rather than sitting on the side. This put me off Scorpion completely, to me the lack of engineering an end can to fit a bike properly is telling me they don't pay attention to the rest of the pipework either. Evidence of this is quite obvious if you start comparing dyno charts of Scopion systems on DR-Z to something made by other manufacturers.

If you want to see exceptional craftsmanship, have a look at Yoshimura exhausts. I'm a big fan of Yoshimura products, even though I own nothing they make (yet!) Every exhaust is a work of art, you can see the quality in the welds and the attention to little details. Look at the picture of the pipework on this baby! (BTW, you can't use a centre stand with the Yoshi for the Glee, I guess they didn't want to compromise :grin: )

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-5142-216 ... d-cap.aspx
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 22:40:19 »
I emailed scorpion the other day. They replied to a couple of my questions. They said their exhaust will work with a centre stand and does have a hole for the oxygen sensor to screw into even though it doesn't look like it in pictures.

Offline EvilRacer329

• Bike: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2017 Yamaha T-Max 530 DX
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 18:18:11 »
Hi blokes,

I actually ordered one of these for my '12 650 without even thinking of accessory compatibility - I sort of assumed they'd have tested a bike like this as it was likely to be used!

Can anyone who's mounted one of these confirm that it works with the centre-stand and also the SW-Motech/HepcoBecker "official" panniers?

I've looked at the photos and I can't see anywhere that it would foul the mounts, but now I'm kind of worried :/

I've pinged Scorpion an email, but if anyone here can set my mind at ease I'd appreciate it!

Nick

Offline EvilRacer329

• Bike: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2017 Yamaha T-Max 530 DX
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:52:33 »
For anyone who finds this thread with similar concerns, just a quick update - nothing to worry about. Fits perfectly with the Suzuki racks, cowling, centrestand...no interference anywhere!