Author Topic: earth lead  (Read 3374 times)

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
earth lead
« on: October 11, 2015, 16:09:26 »
Went a run yesterday.  100 miles, stopped for a coffee, bike wouldn't start again, just a click. Check all fuses and connections, clutch and side stand switch,  all OK. Called the Suzuki. Aa man there in half hour. No earth, earth lead clean and tight both ends. Aa man fitted secondary earth lead, bike started OK.

Offline porter

Re: earth lead
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 16:17:58 »
When I got home I removed the earth bolt at back of the engine, bolt head and earth cable clean as I'd cleaned it a few months  ago but threaded end of bolt all white and furry, clean with wire brush and copperslipped, all OK now. Aa mans secondary lead a bit crude so went to Halfords and bought a nicer one for a fiver. Fitted from negative thermal to silver bracket that supports the rear of the tank.I recommend you all went one.

Offline porter

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 16:29:24 »
Sorry get one. I also put an 8mm ring spanner In the tool kit. My  bike is March 15, 5000 miles dry weather bike. This was not lack of care but a poor design I think. The white corrosion is I think a reaction of the metal bolt into the aluminium crankcase. Even if you've no trouble as yet clean the bolt and fit the secondary earth better than stranded.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 16:30:39 »
Any secondary earth connection needs to go to the engine case. Attaching it to the frame will encourage bimetallic galvanic corrosion of the bolts connecting the steel parts of the frame to the aluminium main frame and engine. That is the same effect that caused the steel bolt to aluminium engine connection to corrode. Rather than using a secondary earth, the use of a cadmium plated bolt and applying a corrosion preventative material like ACF50 grease would be a better solution.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 23:08:58 »
You are having a rough time with this Veek Porter,I suppose you had no word from GS about replacing the ecu either.

Offline porter

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:47 »
You're right there, they've never heard of an ecu replacement for the vee2! Surprise Surprise   it was a trying afternoon. I was at a biker cafe to so lots of bikers about. One said my bike was in lovely condition,  I said it is pity it won't start! Embrassing.  It was for sale the minute I got home but I've calmed down now!

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 14:52:07 »
Sorry to hear that mate,I can imagine you are getting well fed up at this stage,hope this renewed earth connection solves this issue for now at least, pity some of these bike dealers or their mechanics wouldn't have a look at this forum, they think we are a bunch of complainers who know nothing it seems!!

Offline porter

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 20:38:25 »
Update. Took greywolfs advice,  he's forgotten more than I know!  Cleaned the earth bolt again, can't really replace it as its a crankcase bolt, only 6mm but long. Copper slipped it well up, earth good, bike startin OK. Connected the  new secondary earth till bracket that supports the rear of the tank, tucked under the rubber boot over abs, other end not connected to battery, just tucked under the tool kit. So now if oe earth goes again I just connect other end till battery.  Be away in 5 minutes,  if I don't drop the battery screw down the back of the engine!! 

Offline BugMagnet

• Bike: 2014 DL1000A
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 01:00:01 »
A bit of an old thread here, but this is what the recall in the US is doing about the earth ground, as a permanent fix.

the “battery ground connection (to) develop poor conductivity due to corrosion or a weak connection to the painted surface of the crankcase to which it is attached.” If the issue is present, “the engine may stall and be unable to be restarted.”

Suzuki will move the battery ground connection to an unpainted surface, near the exhaust pipe. The wire protector will be replaced as well with a high-heat resistant tube.