Author Topic: fuel tank removal  (Read 6381 times)

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
fuel tank removal
« on: November 06, 2015, 21:05:06 »
 Evening all, has anyone removed the petrol tank on the DL1000 2014,I want to do some work under there, and was looking for any snags in the removal and replacement, and roughly how long it takes.

Thanks all, geoff

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: fuel tank removal
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 21:15:18 »
I did, twice already. If I remember well, all instructions are in owner's manuals. Takes about 15 min to remove and about the same to fit it back. Make sure it's almost empty before you remove it because it's difficult to handle it when it's heavy. Also, prepare piece of cloth or rug to put under fuel hoses after removal, just to prevent the fuel going all over your engine. I mean, the fuel will not get out the tank freely but there is always some left in hoses. At the end, when you put it back, make sure the fuel line is connected well and it "clicks" back in or you'll have fuel leak afterwards.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 21:19:58 »
Done a few times now, was a little aprehensive first time, but its worth knowing how to do it. Agree with Bosnjos post, whilst you have the tank off, check to see if there is no contact between wiring on the airbox and the underside of the tank. There was on mine, I tied the cable out of the way and places some rubber inbetween the wiring harness and underside of the tank.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 21:25:26 »
Thank you both very much indeed,I'm good with spanners,ahem...might have to take a ride as the tank is full,hohum, going to fit a k& N filter,sleave and lube the electrical connectors and protect the cables as advised, bike goes in next week for a pc and tune, and with the wet roads wanted to sort the electrickery with silicon grease and bicycle inner tubes. :fix:

Offline wurzel

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:27:00 »
Thank you Roadrocket, I will be following your advice, and I hope others find this thread of use in their quest to make a great bike even sweeter to own

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 09:53:35 »
No worries!

Check out this thread http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=25884.0

Edit the photos are not showing, well not on tapatalk on my phone anyway so I'll upload a few...

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 10:31:21 »
The tank removed you can see the connectors the large white one is from the ignition key this is the main culprit for problems. A couple of the connectors are waterproof types but in the main, most of them are not!

The ignition connector is split doesn't look too bad, so a good time to seal it

Sleeving the non waterproofconnectors - apply a little grease to the connectors electrical contacts first before assembly

Sealed
Tie wrap and seal rubber tube

Watch out for this airbox wiring loom rubbing on the under side of the tank - you see some of the white paint that has rubbed off onto the wiring - short circuit in the making here...

Offline wurzel

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 20:25:07 »
Thank you kindly, this will help me on Monday when I lift the tank. :ty:

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:00:15 »
 :ty: :thumb:

Offline arran66

• Bike: DL1000 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 15:58:38 »
Hi all my bike is cutting out now thinking of doing this see if it makes any difference before I take it the the dealer to run it on the diagnosis machine doubt if any codes will show up anyhow but it's worth a try

I've been studying these photos but I can't see fuel lines are they easy to disconnect etc is there plenty of room to get in there etc and where are they my Suzuki manual is useless  lol