Author Topic: Is my Vstrom on the way out?  (Read 4317 times)

Offline pud80

• Bike: DL1000GT K7, ZX636R
Is my Vstrom on the way out?
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:03:01 »
OK so the big Vstrom is my first 1000cc vtwin.
So I'm not sure if it's just me struggling to get used to the engine and the way the gears are.
From first to second feels horrible and very loud. The bike feels like it's being restricted and if I'm not giving it full revs and going some it struggles to pull low down in all gears, the engine feels like it's trying to bounce out of the frame. I can't slowly filter very well in second as a result of this. And getting it in 6 OD is going to get me banned.
The front discs do sound like they are rubbing, but this wouldn't make it feel so stiff and choked up.
The bike has a FSH and I changed oil and filter when I got it.
It's pretty clean looks well looked after.
It could just be me not being used to this type of engine. I hope so..

Offline Offtheclockuk

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Re: Is my Vstrom on the way out?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:31:15 »
First off, nip over to the introductions area of the forum and say hello, we don't bite!

The nature of the beast means that the big v twin won't be exactly silky smooth if you're putting along at idle,

There are things you can check and adjust to make it more tractable,
Search for TPS adjustment on here and also see if you can get the throttle bodies checked for balance.

The idle speed is also critical on these engines, too low and the engine will cough and fart  and generally be a pig to ride slowly,
Too high and the revs will hang up when you close the throttle and selecting 1st at rest will be a more noisy affair.

Once those things are checked there are other modifications that can help the smoothness of the fuelling and power delivery.

We are all quite helpful here so I'm sure that you will get it worked out just fine.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:20:46 »
Update your profile to say which year of DL1000 you have.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline pud80

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:57:44 »
I've been and introduced myself when I joined back in October, and put some images on.
It's a 2007 GT spec with just over 30k on the clock..

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 14:06:22 »
Change the gearing. 16T front sprocket does the business. Speedo will be out but that can be easily fixed if it irritates you.

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 15:42:13 »
I don't have DL1000 but I do have a 1000 twin and although they are much more finicky about being in the right gear they shouldn't be as bad as described in the OP's first post, or are they?

From first to second feels horrible and very loud - It shouldn't

if I'm not giving it full revs and going some it struggles to pull low down in all gears - what do you mean low down, below 2,000 rpm?

the engine feels like it's trying to bounce out of the frame - sound like you are lugging the engine, what revs is this happening at?

And getting it in 6 OD is going to get me banned -  what is OD?

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 17:38:43 »
Going from 1st to 2nd gear can be a bit scrunchy especially if done at low revs. It tends to be worse if the chain is loose, so keep it properly adjusted. Adding a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket or one less on the gearbox sprocket improves the bike all round and makes top gear (OD on the Vee) a proper usable gear. Get the TPS and throttle bodies checked as suggested. The Vee is often a bit lumpy at low revs and may well be happier running around 2,500 when chugging around town. Big "V" twins are very different from vertical ones and 4 cylinder bikes and can take a bit of getting used to. Things can be improved if you feel inclined by getting the fuelling adjusted using a Yoshimura FI box that some dealers have or fitting a Power Commander. Fitting a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) may also help and these can be easily picked up on EBay for under £20.

Offline pud80

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 22:00:34 »
Sorry for late reply. I think I've found one of the problems I think front rotors are warped, in the morning I can't roll to a stop at lights before getting on the M60 for the commute. It just stops dead when I pull clutch in. And the first to second is much worse the higher the revs. And unless I'm really giving it high revs most gears other than first seem to struggle ...
Anyone in the tameside area of gtr Manchester who also rides the same bike want to give me their opinion after a quick ride... I don't want to start taking it to a bike garage as cash is low this time of year. And my bloody right spot lamps gone ... Maybe winter riding and 20miles of M60 morning and night filtering just ain't doing this bike much good. And OD is overdrive on this bike, never knew of a bike to have this until I got the Vstrom ..it's a shame I bloody love riding this when the conditions are right and the bike feels smooth.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 22:09:37 »
You sure it's warped discs and not the brakes binding/pistons sticking? Might be worth giving them a spray with brake cleaner??  :shrug:

You could also check your discs are floating - delboy's garage on youtube has a good video on how to do this.

Offline pud80

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 22:10:34 »
And any recommendations of a good bike garage as a last resort, and any links to a good set of front and rear sprockets, the front rotors are very expensive too.

Offline pud80

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 22:12:44 »
Cheers UK vstrom I didn't see your post until I'd already posted again.
I want to get it sorted before it turns either dangerous or very, very expensive.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 22:34:00 »
So it just stops dead (moving not the engine) when you pull the clutch in at slow speeds?
If so, something is dragging like seized calipers, if seized, spraying with brake cleaner or whatever won't be a suitable fix, they'll need a proper strip and clean.

Whatever, it wants checking out asap.

Unfortunately, I'm the opposite side of Manchester to you.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 10:17:24 »
If your brakes are binding you will feel/smell the heat off the discs after a mile or so, DO NOT touch the disc, just hold the back of your hand near it to check for heat.

Offline pud80

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 10:20:56 »
It seems to improve the longer I ride, I set off from Hyde hit the 67-m60 by the time I'm off the M60 at stretford its feeling a lot loser, but the brakes make a sound like their rubbing the disk.
I'm going to strip the calipers replace pads and bang a 16t front sprocket in and see if it helps the bike feel better for me. 

Offline Offtheclockuk

• Bike: DL1000 K2
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 22:00:14 »

I'm not far from you if you want to fetch it up, weather and daylight are against tinkering though haha,

I'm free Friday morning for a couple of hours and maybe Sunday if doris hasn't made any plans for me!