Author Topic: Norway next year  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
Norway next year
« on: August 31, 2015, 20:56:43 »
I am going to go ahead and assume some of you folks will have been riding in Norway.
I am after some info with regards to the beat time of year to head out. I am assuming later in the summer so the snow can clear out in the North.

Also peoples costs? I have been kayaking over there but that isn't very easy to judge from as we took loads of supplies and split everything 3 ways.
2008 650

Offline Esmerelda

Re: Norway next year
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 22:16:01 »
"Costs"

I travel there for work from time to time and the price of every thing  scares me even when the firm is paying!

Regards

Esme
The older I get, the faster I was!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 22:47:31 »
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Chalkmyster

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 22:53:40 »
Ask http://Twitter.com/wildbadtouringthey have just been, also got some vids on YouTube and one rider has a Strom.
Regards,

Chalky,

Offline Kayaker413

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 05:16:18 »
:ty:
2008 650

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:21:18 »
Roads will be mostly clear from May but you need to be able to ride on half an inch of the stuff year round or have the time to sit it out for a few hours.

Tyre wear will be high due to the winter proof surfaces used. If you are going to the North Cape or Russian border you'll basically need a rear fitting a few weeks before you go.

Andy

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 08:51:58 »
I went in May last year and the roads were fine. I had one day when it started snowing whilst out on the road, but I managed to drop down the mountains and out of the snow without any real problems. I didn't make it as far North as I wanted to though as the weather up towards Nordkapp was not looking too good at the time! I would go back at the same time of year as it means you get to see the mountains covered in snow but without the risk of roads covered in snow! It does get a bit chilly inland and up the mountains though, so make sure you have plenty of warm kit - I ended up wearing many layers while I was on the bike!

Cost wise, it is expensive and there's no getting away from that. If you have a tent, then take it - there are some excellent campsites there, but depending on when you go, you probably won't want to be camping once you get too far North due to both the cold and the fact it doesn't get dark at night! Hostels are a good option in the cities if you don't mind sharing a room (although some offer reasonably priced private rooms). In Norway they tend to be used as much by businessmen as they are by backpackers so they tend to be quite clean and modern.

As I'm sure you're aware, beer is expensive. Buying a can of beer in a supermarket costs the same as a pint in a pub over here! In bars, the cheapest pint I found was just over a fiver, and often they are closer to a tenner, so drinking isn't really an option! Food is also a little pricey, but nowhere near as bad as alcohol! I actually found that a good steak in a pub tended to be pretty good value compared to many other things on the menu! If you're camping, then make sure you take a stove and cook for yourself when you can to save a bit of money.

Anyway, I hope all of that helps and if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them for you!

Offline Kayaker413

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:21 »
There is likely to be 3 of us. My mate and I would be quite happy camping in most weathers (we both will wild camp in the mountains through the winter) but not sure about his misses.
Equally we're both happy riding dirt but she will most likely be on a bandit so would be staying on tarmac.
Again happy to cook, I have yet to run out of space in my luggage so no issue there.

I remember eating allot of canned fish but I can't remember if we had bought that in France on our way north!
2008 650